awfully slow computer

i am not sure how it happened. i mean like i dont kno what i did to my computert that made this problem occur

If I were you, I would backup all files and data into another hdd or dvd/cd and reset the computer. It feels better to start from a clean slate.

Check these items...

Go to the device manager and select IDE ATA/ ATAPI Controllers. Click the plus next to it. Then select the channel your drive is on and right click. Then select properties. Go to the advanced setting tab and click it. You're looking to see if the drive got installed as a DMA device. If it did then this is not the problem. If it didn't pull down the selection that controlls the setting to DMA. Select use DMA if available. Click apply then ok.
Other things you can do is to run more than one ad/spyware program. Ad-Aware se is a good one while Spybot S&D is another good one. Both are free. You MUST update them on a regular basis. Another thing I use is called crap cleaner. You would not believe the garbage it finds. I don't have the addresses for the ad/spy stuff but Google can be a real Godsend some times. However the addy for crap cleaner is www.ccleaner.com
You absolutely have to run all your maintaince programs on a set basis. Not just when it slows down...

Ok try this If you are using Windows XP try this out:

Go to My Computer>Right-clickin the window>select properties>system Restore and move the slider down to 1 percent that way it's only using 200 mb of your hard drive space to store System Restore points or you could try to do a System restore the day when your computer was running fast.

Back
Top Bottom