awfully slow computer

sareeam

Solid State Member
hey!

from the past 2 weeks, my computer has been running awfully slow. i have no clue y. everytime i run Spysweeeper, there are spywears...EVERYTIME!!. but i dont kno if thats the problem. it takes about 5 mins for an application to open.

is there anything i cud do besides reformat the computer?

any help wud be appreciated.

Thank u

Run ad-aware, Run antivirus, disck cleanup, disk defrag, u really shold use the search opotion on a forum.

yeah how much ram do you have? also how many programs are running in the background? those take up alot of system resources.

go to the start menu and click run and in the box type "msconfig" and click the startup tab. how many programs are starting up?

it could be a combination of things

i have a 256 MB ram. As far as the background processes go, i use end it all to kill all the programs that r not needed.

Also, this problem has been occuring from the past 2 weeks.

what speed ram? pc 2100 2700 or 3200. either way 256mb is pretty slow but it shouldnt be lagging that much. hmmm does it act that slow after you run spysweeper and stuff? try adaware its free an works good.

256MB should be ok and shouldn't be running that slow. Are you low on hard drive space? Uninstall programs you don't use anymore and do a disk cleanup. Get rid of all *.tmp files, *.bak, and *.log files. Defrag hard drive, set virtual memory to 1.5 times the RAM you have which is 384 MB swap file for you (min and max). Are you running programs that exceed your system requirements? But try those things listed above. You can always reinstall Windows. That always help in most cases.

i dont think my harddrive should be giving any problems because i had recently installed a 80GB harddrive

You recently installed a 80G hard drive, does that coincide with your speed lost? Did you switch your swapfile to this new hard drive? Are they both formatted in NTFS or FAT32? Did you stop the unnecessary services? Have you downloaded Microsoft beta Spyware http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en
Did you download TweakUI (microsoft powertoy) to tweak your system and disable XP auto defrag function which fragments more than it defragments!
When exactly did this speed drop happen

Back
Top Bottom