Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-17-2007, 01:05 AM   #1
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to ߧ∩H♠H䎀
Default Auto shutdown programs?

Alright this is my first custom build. My old computer I would leave running for days and days putting it in hibernate mode when I left the house. I always monitor my temps on my new system. I have the following software that came with it to monitor Asus PC probe2. Then I have a Temp LCD on the tower. I have had it running almost all day and the system ran around 36C Temps on the CPU were around 26C

I would really like to leave this running for extended periods for a faster bootup but i'm worried about what may happen. I'm looking for something that would shut my computer down if I set the temp to say 40C it would auto shutdown to prevent anything from breaking. I can set a threshold through PC probe that alerts me if it were to go over a specific temp but that does me no good if i'm not home.

ߧ∩H♠H䎀 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:45 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Auto shutdown programs?

Iv'e never used it, but most BIOSes have a function that alarms when the pc exceeds a specified temperature, and for the BIOS to talk to Windows i guess the pc has to reboot or something....maybe give it a go...in BIOS look for Power Management or something and look for CPU shutdown temperature. But with those temps you are fine and shouldn't be worrying too much.

Matt

Mattyl110792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:42 AM   #3
Fully Optimized

I just checked the bios. It has a bunch of setting on how things power up. The only thing regarding shutdown was a setting for how long you hold the power button in before it shutsdown. Thanks though maybe somebody will know about a program. I'm just worried if a fan fails or something.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:09 AM   #4
Daemon Poster

I had a look at the manual for your board (if it's the P5n32 like said in your sig) and i know there is an option in Power for the Fan Speed Warning, so if your fan speed goes lower than the specified speed, it will shutdown...quoted from 4-34 in the manual....ill post back if i find some software for you

Matt
Old 01-17-2007, 05:17 AM   #5
Fully Optimized

Really. I have that enabled. It is a cpu fan speed that alarms you if your cpu fan drops below 800rpm. I didn't realize it would just shut it down in the bios it just it will set off a alarm.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:24 AM   #6
Daemon Poster

I can't be 100% sure that it shuts it off, but i am 98%....you best get another opinion to be 100% sure if your worried...

Matt