Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-25-2005, 09:39 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Auto Restart

Hi, im running xp, and i have a real problem with my computer. Some times, just out of the blues, my computer just restart, without even followng the restart procedure, the screen goes black instantly and restarts. This just happened recently and i find it really really annoying. Please can someone help?

Thanks in advanced.

GiveMeBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 11:43 PM   #2
Golden Master

Default Re: Auto Restart

Do you see a pattern in restarts, such as restarting when you perform a certain function in Windows? Did you notice the irregular restarts right after you installed something? If it is, perhaps that program is the culprit. Try uninstalling recently installed software to see if that solves it. Then install it again. Run a Disk Cleanup too while you're at it.

Other suggestions may include a recently contracted virus. Give the hard drive a scan and see what it says.

Old 03-26-2005, 02:27 AM   #3
In Runtime

Send a message via Yahoo to eunice

check the temperature of your CPU and system... i had the same problem.. i found out that my pc is overheating..
Old 03-26-2005, 05:36 AM   #4
Baseband Member

there isn't any pattern in restarts, if im lucky, it wont restart for the whole day. If im not lucky, it'll restart every few hours. And i dun remember installing any recent programs. Ill give a virus scan a try though and see how it goes.

And, also, how do i check my cpu temp? wat temp should it be around? and also, how do i fix the overheating problem?

Thanks.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:54 AM   #5
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to rat_boy_100 Send a message via Yahoo to rat_boy_100

I think its ur PSU, i had the exact same problem for months. I tried also, cleaning the ram, cleaning the cpu heatsink, but finally, when i decided to put a brand new PSU in, it ixed it completelly. It was a 270watt psu i think, maybe it just couldn't take it, or ti was just nakerd.
Maxtor Plus 80gb 7200rpm
Ati Radeon 9600xt 256mb
rat_boy_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 08:18 AM   #6
Baseband Member

My current PSU has a rating of 400watts, so tihnk it would be able to handle all my components. I have also just noticed that when the restart is about to happen, the computer makes a little strange buzzing sound and the CPU usuage peaks at 100% and stays there, atfer a couple minutes, the restart happens. So i would assume it's my CPU over heating. I'm just speculating so go ahead and fix me if im wrong.

if thats the case, how do i fix this over heating problem? or maybe it's my PSU?
Old 03-26-2005, 08:41 AM   #7
Daemon Poster

i had a very similiar problem. it ended when i upgraded my motherboard. i have not had the problem since. i have tried to use the old mobo again since, and it is definately knackered.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:49 AM   #8
Golden Master

So now it's just a matter of deciding what to replace. Either way, it looks like you can expect to pay big bucks except for the power supply if that was the case. If it's CPU heating problems, I would double check the temp from software that monitor your CPU temp such as Sisoft Sandra 2005, Everset, or look into your BIOS for temp info for CPU. I look at all 3 to double check temp accuracy.

If it is the CPU running hot, then you need to purchase aftermarket cooling for it. New thermal grease (Arctic Silver), heatsink/fan combo. The used thermal compound from the processor will have to be cleaned off with alcohol or something to ensure better heat transfer.