Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-20-2009, 12:32 AM   #1
In Runtime
Exclamation Auto-Mapping Drives

Hey guys.
I'm a sophistication freak when it comes to networking. I own a desktop and a laptop.

I have a 250GB portable HDD which has all my music and movies - it is usually connected to my desktop unless I take my laptop somewhere where I want all my music and movies with me. If I don't take my portable HDD, a copy of a selection of my favourite music is stored on my laptop's hard-drive.

However, I would love to have my libraries detect and play my media straight from the portable hard-drive over the network. This is no problem, I can just point the monitor folders on Winamp and Media Player (I sometimes use Media Center) to the networked hard-drive. However, if I go out and take my portable hard-drive with me, and I want to listen to music or watch videos, my software is going to think they've disappeared, and I'll have to change the monitor folders *and* redetect all the songs.

So here is my idea - I can map the shared portable hard-drive on my desktop to a letter (for instance, F drive), and then when I plug in my portable hard-drive straight into my laptop, I can map the hard-drive to F drive as well. Winamp and WMP won't notice the difference.

So what's the issue? Every time I go out and take my portable drive, or when I return and plug my portable drive into my desktop, I'll have to go into the logical disk manager and remap the drives to work before I open any media player. Now, as a sophistication freak, I was hoping I could have it do this automatically. That is, if the portable hard-drive is plugged into the laptop, it automatically remaps the networked copy of the drive to another letter and takes it place as F drive.

Is this possible? Thanks for your help!
Rhys Andrews
RhysAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote