Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-23-2009, 06:14 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Audio Problems

I am experiencing some audio problems with my motherboard which causes my voice to echo or skip while speaking. This only occurs at random times and usually is only fixed if I exit out of my communication program(vent) or restart my PC if first option doesn't work. The problem only seems to happen in my onboard audio jacks because my current headset is using the pink and green jacks. When using my old USB mic it worked fine for 6 months until the mic wire got messed up. I have updated my bios and audio drives to no use. Seeking guidance, thanks in advance.
Motherboard: ASUS M3A78

P3PPERZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:42 PM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Audio Problems

So much for onboard!

With a separate expansion card you generally see a sound mixer not provided for onboard as a rule for things like the input mixer, equalizer, and other features depending who made internal or usb sound card.

Your problem there could be with the jacks themselves from any constant plugging in, unplugging, replugging where the contacts have lost tension and simply worn. The other thing to consider is the audio chip itself or board temps playing a role since you describe this as being a random problem.

Dodge1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
Baseband Member

I don't really know about the constant plugging in and out issue but my temps seem to stay pretty constant but I really don't know much about the mobo overheating on certain parts. Also was wondering maybe a sound card could help to fix my problem or not? I have submitted a email to ASUS but I am guessing that they will give me a load of crap back, but I can hope.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage

I would get a cheap PCI sound card if I were you. You will achieve better sound quality, and will not get problems with lagging ever again.

The lagging could be occuring when the CPU is busy performing other tasks (since the onboard chip is completly CPU driven), and so the sound becomes second to the list of things to do.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:07 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

This is a long shot.

But DL ASIO4ALL and see if this helps.

Adjust the buffer settings for the best latency without dropouts.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:03 PM   #6
Daemon Poster

As you said at the start you were using a usb mic for several months without any problems seen. You may be better off seeing that replaced since that saw working results.

Apparently the onboard is too sensitive and ends up echoing without the mixer option available to trim things down a bit if you are running Vista. In XP however you can go into the Start>Programs>Acceessories>entertainment section to open the Windows sound mixer by clicking on the advanced button.

For Vista and 7 going into the Control Panel>sound>advanced would be another idea to see if the item for onboard sound is seen there. Then you could use the input/output level adjustments to compensate.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:10 PM   #7
Solid State Member

sabbath70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:45 PM   #8
Baseband Member

Any suggestions on a cheap audio card I could use?
Old 03-27-2009, 02:02 AM   #9
Daemon Poster

At first I grabbed an X-Fi Xtreme Audion then went for the Gamer version for a slight upgrade. The prices are pretty reasonable depending on where you order from.

PCI, PCIe, usb? For Creative cards the support for Vista and 7 beta is being seen on the Audigy 4 models and newer. You may to consider that since the only model newegg presently has in stock in the $25-$50 range goes for $50 being the Xtreme Audio model 7.1 surround seen at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102007

The Gamer goes for about $12- more at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102028 Both of these cards work well on XP thru 7 beta.