Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-12-2006, 10:28 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default audio driver

ok Iím just going to say from the outset that i apologize if this question has been answered like a gazillion thousand timesÖ.

so Ive had my laptop for a good 2 years now. a couple days ago it got really infected with viruses, so I rebooted it, yada yada. so currently, my laptop (Dell, inspiron 2200) has windows xp professional on it, and I was also able to install a graphic driver (intelģ media graphics accelerator) and a chipset. but basically every audio driver Iíve tried online either gives me an error during installation or isnít compatible with this computer. maybe I checking the wrong websites?? hereís what Iíve tried thus far:

Yamaha, via, siss, realtek, Phillips, ess, creative labs, c-media, analog devices

i should also add that iím a poor college student and i really cant afford to go out and buy one right now, so downloading from the web is probably my best bet. k, so really all Iím looking for is a specific audio driver that someone knows 100% will work with this computer and wonít give any error messages. gracias

defyinggravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:50 PM   #2
Golden Master

Default Re: audio driver

Shouldn't you have the Driver CD from Dell somewhere?

lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:56 PM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to alvino

Go to Run and run DXDiag. See what audio chipset you're using.
alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:14 PM   #4
Beta Member

Ihuser- yeah....my uncle put this computer together for me, and he kept everything that came with it except for windows xp, which i have the cd for.

alvino- under the sound tab it says no sound card was found. the only chipset i have is Intel(R) 915GM/GMS, 910GML Express Chipset, which is listed under the display tab.

any suggestions?
defyinggravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:20 PM   #5
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to alvino

Go to Intel's website and see if they have drivers. Your audio chipset is probably part of Intel's whole chipset logic.
alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:50 PM   #6
Daemon Poster

Why not go to Dell.com and look up your service tag # and find your drivers that way? If anything ... look up the drivers for Dell Inspiron 2200 on Dell.com.

You guys are making this more difficult than it needs to be! Here's what I found: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?

It appears to be a sigmatel driver.

BTW ... the link is specific for Dell Inspiron 2200 and actually has I believe ALL the drivers you actually would need. Imagine that ... all in ONE PLACE. The place? The manufacturer of your laptop DELL!

CrossCech is offline   Reply With Quote