ATI's FIREGl lineup

Zaki

Daemon Poster
does anybody know why this is a separate line-up and whats so good about it? i use my computer mainly for digital art applications, like photoshop, painter, and pretty soon, cad, 3dstudio max, and maya. THese boards are advertised for these purposes, but im not sure how much of that is the truth,

does anyone know much about these cards?

thats the thing, no one knows anything about this card. i want to hear from someone who might actually own this card or has used it in the past.

Dang...that's a pretty sweet video card. FireGL 7100. wish I would have known about that before I bought my X700...

Zaki said:
thats the thing, no one knows anything about this card. i want to hear from someone who might actually own this card or has used it in the past.

Actually Zaki, I think the Uni I am at have a few machines with those cards in. I'm a games programmer and so I can't give you first hand advice on it, but I have a few friends who are doing the designing side of gaming and they have used it They say it's pretty good. I mean I don't think you'll see the difference between that card and say a Quadro or 7800GTX from nVidia. They did say though that it does actually run Maya slightly better, but remember that you will need excessive amounts of RAM (around the 2GB mark) to get it's best performance.

Hope that helped in any way :S

the deceived said:
Actually Zaki, I think the Uni I am at have a few machines with those cards in. I'm a games programmer and so I can't give you first hand advice on it, but I have a few friends who are doing the designing side of gaming and they have used it They say it's pretty good. I mean I don't think you'll see the difference between that card and say a Quadro or 7800GTX from nVidia. They did say though that it does actually run Maya slightly better, but remember that you will need excessive amounts of RAM (around the 2GB mark) to get it's best performance.

Hope that helped in any way :S
thanks, but it has to have something better than the 7800 since the firegl hsa a price tag of about 800. and it has all these great stats like 7 geo engines. i dont know much about video card technology so i was just trying to understand what makes the firegl the industry standard for graphics work.

1337DuD3 said:
Dang...that's a pretty sweet video card. FireGL 7100. wish I would have known about that before I bought my X700...

Any kind of workstation GPU sucks for gaming, just for your information.

alvino said:
Any kind of workstation GPU sucks for gaming, just for your information.

then what i dont understand is that workstation cards cost twice as much as the best games graphics cards out there, but they suck for games? and the games cards dont suck for the workstation purposes? there is definetly some confusion here, because there is no way the nvidia quadro can be $1700 for just a few extra workstation stats. or its just the card company ripping off people who need these cards so much.

Back
Top Bottom