Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-15-2005, 07:14 PM   #1
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage
Default ATI Catalyst Control Centre.

Hey, I just decided to try and update my video drivers again for my Radeon 9800PRO.

I downloaded the Catalyst uninstaller and restarted which went fine. The driver had uninstalled, though it did come up with "new hardware found", but I ignored that because I was going to install from a driver anyway.

Now, i downloaded the latest with the Control Centre, as I've heard its easier to use, etc than having to go into Properties.

Anyway, I installed it and restarted. All seemed fine, except an error message came up:

Plus, I'm stuck at running at 60hz on the monitor, and the switch on the Monitor Properties doesn't work... plus, no extra settings since its all meant to be run on the new Control Centre.

I've heard I need to have something installed from microsoft, and thought I had it. Anyone know how to fix it?

Hope you can help.

Old 10-15-2005, 08:40 PM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: ATI Catalyst Control Centre.

post a url to the driver you downloaded. ill try it out, i still got a comp w. a 9800 pro, ill see if i can get it to work properly, and if so tell u how i di it.

There are only 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who can read binary, and those who can't.
mayorredbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 09:10 PM   #3
CJ
In Runtime

Try this:
Uninstall any ATI drivers you have. After you rebooot, do not click cancel. Instead select Standard VGA graphics card (Even if it's PCI). Reboot and install your new catalyst drivers. Make sure you have Microsoft .NET framework installed on Windows if you are using the version with Control Centre. You will find it when you click on Windows Update.
CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 09:31 AM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage

Thanks both of you, but I think its just my computer with it not working mayorredbeard, as Universities have the Catalysy Control Centre running fine, but thanks for the offer to try that You may try to update anyway. You may get better results in some games.

CJ, thanks for that. I know I should have maybe selected something instead of pressing cancel. Even though, when it restarted...it must have been using VGA drivers anyway, because there were no other drivers installed for the card, so that confused me.

As for the .NET framework, I'm pretty sure I have that installed, and was the program I was thinking of the name for while typing out the thread, but I'll double check that.

If its not that, what could it be?

it might help if I say that I've never been able to run that, even on previous driver versions..

-------------------------------------------------------------------
FIXED:

Thanks for the advice CJ. I uninstalled the Catalyst drivers again, and checked that the .NET framework was installed, which it wasn't (Must have uninstalled it at some point), and so installed that.

I then restarted the PC, and it was looking for drivers. It found ones for my card (default VGA) and installed them. Then I installed the drivers and restarted again.

At first, I noticed it was a bit jumpy, but it corrected itself after a black screen and the Centre worked, though when I tried switching to 70hz...nothing occured with the monitor.

Restarting again fixed this though

Thanks