athlon x2 4200+

mithrandir2

Solid State Member
Hello all, i am new on here, so please go easy on me :D

ok, i have recently ordered a new computer (not arrived yet), with an athlon x2 4200 processor, 1gb ram, asus a8n-e motherboard, using the nvidia Nforce ultra chipset....

for the last couple of years i have been using a vaio laptop, with a celeron processor and 512 ram.

what i would like to know is, how much of a difference will i notice on overall performance from my new PC compared to my old laptop.

secondly (and most importantly) do you guys and girls think Football Manager 2006 will run smoothly and quickly on the new pc? on my laptop the game is almost unplayable because of its slowness.

Thanks

allenn812 said:
From what you have said, it should run with ease. But what video card did you order?

hi, thanks for the reply.

it is not a great graphics card i`m afraid. 256MB RADEON X550 PCI Express + DVI + TV-OUT.

thing is i am not really a big gamer, other than Football Manager i rarely play games.

do you think i will have a problem with the low end graphics card while playing FM2006? i thought because the game was not really graphics based it would be ok :confused:

mithrandir said:
Hello all, i am new on here, so please go easy on me :D

ok, i have recently ordered a new computer (not arrived yet), with an athlon x2 4200 processor, 1gb ram, asus a8n-e motherboard, using the nvidia Nforce ultra chipset....

for the last couple of years i have been using a vaio laptop, with a celeron processor and 512 ram.

what i would like to know is, how much of a difference will i notice on overall performance from my new PC compared to my old laptop.

secondly (and most importantly) do you guys and girls think Football Manager 2006 will run smoothly and quickly on the new pc? on my laptop the game is almost unplayable because of its slowness.

Thanks

OMG, that new desktop will smoke your laptop so bad, it's not even funny. You'll notice a significant increase in performance. Don't worry. You'll be able to play any games on there with no slow down.

Get like a 6800GT or a 6800GS (cheaper and just as powerful as the GT version) or if you can afford it, bet the 7800GT video card.

Dude, the X2 4200+ will process any gmae at rediculous Frame Rates etc.... You might want to think about upgrading to one of the 7800 GT's because they will be just what you need for movies, games and that other fun graphics based crap. Have fun with it man and good luck.

Later

with video cards becoming cheaper and cheaper, id highly suggest a low end 7800 model, like a $300 model, you wont regret it and you wont be itching to upgrade the card either. spending money on a card like the x550 is just throwing money down the drain, the reason being, if you know you play game(s), just get a decent card once and sit on it for a while. if the 7800 is too expensive for your budget, then i highly recomend a 6800gt 256mb (around $240) those make excellent deals. that processor is great too.

thanks for all the comments. overall i feel much more reassured now about the system, and really excited to see what this dual core can do.

about the video/graphics card. thing is i don't play games. i really don't, thats why i didn't think it was necessary to buy a good video card. the game i do play (Football Manager), is not really about frame rates, or high quality 3-d animation etc, so hopefully i can get away with it.

Back
Top Bottom