Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-22-2006, 10:23 PM   #11
Fully Optimized
 
ownage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,404
Default Re: Athlon 3200 or P4 3.0 GHz

thats a pretty good motherboard. 945 chipset. Not too bad. But not the best either. If you dont mind me asking, how much money have you go to work with?
__________________

ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:06 PM   #12
In Runtime
 
Quinton McLeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 298
Default Re: Athlon 3200 or P4 3.0 GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownage
It wouldnt make that much of a difference. But if you dont want to get outdated anytime soon, i would go with the Intel. They wont be changing sockets anytime soon, only chipsets with the same socket. So all you have to do is buy the P4, get a nice top of the motherboard and you are set. I would advise to get the ASUS P5WD2-E it uses the 975x Express chipset, and it just came out recently. The price tag might scare you away, but it should last you a while. If not the 975x, then get the 955x from ASUS. Both are loaded with features that are very useful. Goodluck!

A prime example of Intel fanboyism. Telling the man to buy a 975 chipset when the Conroe is said to run on a completely different chipset (again).

Eventually, he's going to have to switch to a new motherboard. He's better off with a 939 socket for AMD. The AMD 939 processors outperform all the Pentium processors under the 975x and 955x series

EDIT:
Changed Socket to Chipset
Added a paragraph

__________________

__________________
The best quotes I've ever heard:
RaistlinZ - "I think God woke up one day (probably around Noon. dude likes to sleep in) and said to himself, "OMFG, these dinosaurs are just kicking too much ass. The world is not ready for them yet." "
Quinton McLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:43 PM   #13
Golden Master
 
ArrizX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 16,073
Send a message via MSN to ArrizX
Default Re: Athlon 3200 or P4 3.0 GHz

Does it out do mine. I have an LGA775. Its a 630 processor.
__________________
. ()()()()
./l ,[_\_\ ],
l---L ()lllllll()-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 02:25 AM   #14
Fully Optimized
 
ownage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,404
Default Re: Athlon 3200 or P4 3.0 GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinton McLeod

A prime example of Intel fanboyism. Telling the man to buy a 975 chipset when the Conroe is said to run on a completely different chipset (again).

Eventually, he's going to have to switch to a new motherboard. He's better off with a 939 socket for AMD. The AMD 939 processors outperform all the Pentium processors under the 975x and 955x series

EDIT:
Changed Socket to Chipset
Added a paragraph

If i was a mod, i would have banned you a long time ago. But to bad im not. And you are lucky for that. 939 will be gone by June 6th. The 975x is a great chipset. Who the hell cares if AMD has an integrated memory controller? Do they set records? NO wanna know why? Integrated memory controller. It causes cold boot problems. Oh and i bet you didnt know some thing about AMD. Running high voltage RAM ie. BH-5, BH-6, CH-5, CH-6, UTT. And running a low Vcore can put your cpu are risk of failure. THATS ON AMD ONLY. Did you know that? Probably not.
ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 03:30 AM   #15
In Runtime
 
Quinton McLeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 298
Default Re: Athlon 3200 or P4 3.0 GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownage
If i was a mod, i would have banned you a long time ago. But to bad im not. And you are lucky for that. 939 will be gone by June 6th. The 975x is a great chipset. Who the hell cares if AMD has an integrated memory controller? Do they set records? NO wanna know why? Integrated memory controller. It causes cold boot problems. Oh and i bet you didnt know some thing about AMD. Running high voltage RAM ie. BH-5, BH-6, CH-5, CH-6, UTT. And running a low Vcore can put your cpu are risk of failure. THATS ON AMD ONLY. Did you know that? Probably not.

That makes absolutely no sense at all. First of all, the processor has nothing to do with cold booting. That's the motherboard.

Second, the 939 will be supported until 2007.

Third, AMD does not require high voltage RAM. I dunno where you got your facts from. And running your processor at a low voltage does not put your CPU at risk. If anything, running your Pentium at throttling temps puts your CPU at risk.
__________________
The best quotes I've ever heard:
RaistlinZ - "I think God woke up one day (probably around Noon. dude likes to sleep in) and said to himself, "OMFG, these dinosaurs are just kicking too much ass. The world is not ready for them yet." "
Quinton McLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 03:41 AM   #16
Golden Master
 
01001010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,888
Default Re: Athlon 3200 or P4 3.0 GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinton McLeod

If anything, running your Pentium at throttling temps puts your CPU at risk.
Reason why Intel has a thermal protection. They know that, and they design a way to get around that.

Also, please stop calling people "fan-boys" just because they have a different point of view. Ownage is a respected member, and has proven he's not bias to Intel and AMD.
01001010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 04:22 AM   #17
Fully Optimized
 
ownage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,404
Default Re: Athlon 3200 or P4 3.0 GHz

Hmm, badger, havent seen you around lately. But thanks for backing me. Actual AMD does have a cold bug, i guess you arent much of an enthusiat are you? Just going with what everybody says is good. I sentence for you: only dead fish go with the flow. Now, you probably know that AMD loves low latencies for RAM. It thrives on low latencies. Can TCCD run 300mhz 2-2-2-5? No. At best probably 2.5-3-3-8. Can BH-5? Yes 300mhz@2-2-2-5 @ 4.06V (http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=68552) And running high vdimm with low vcore does kill cpus. read about it here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=79509 I trust the guys over at XS. It is home to plenty of WR holders including Fuggar and Crotale.
ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:43 AM   #18
Fully Optimized
 
joe pic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,527
Send a message via AIM to joe pic Send a message via MSN to joe pic Send a message via Yahoo to joe pic
Default Re: Athlon 3200 or P4 3.0 GHz

so what would be the best bet for this PC?
AMD 3200, or P4 3.0 GHz?

so far i'm leaning towards the athlon 64 3200, 1 gb ram, and nvidia 6200...
so.. how can this play TS2?...all this is only $550, but the motherboard is a:
(Sckt939)EVGA nForce4 SLI Chipset SATA RAID Dual PCI-E Mainboard w/GbLAN, USB2.0, &7.1Audio.....
how's that??

also, how much ram can i put in that mobo? i'm not that familiar with motherboards, but I want to eventually add another gig so I'll have enough for vista...how will vista run on this configuration?...if thats not good, i'll stick
with the other config I had..(p4, 3.0 ghz, 1gb ram, nvidia 6200)
so which config will vista and ts2 run better on?
joe pic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:00 PM   #19
Fully Optimized
 
ownage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,404
Default Re: Athlon 3200 or P4 3.0 GHz

Just to tell you, with all 4 DIMMS populated on a AMD, it makes the memory run at 2T which will affect performace, but not on a huge scale. It stresses the onboard memory controller to the extreme. Same thing with the Pentium 4, 4 Dimms is very stressful on the northbridge (memory controller) but what else are you going to use the computer for? Is it gaming dedicated, or are you going to do other stuff with it?
ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 04:28 PM   #20
In Runtime
 
Quinton McLeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 298
Default Re: Athlon 3200 or P4 3.0 GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownage
Hmm, badger, havent seen you around lately. But thanks for backing me. Actual AMD does have a cold bug, i guess you arent much of an enthusiat are you? Just going with what everybody says is good. I sentence for you: only dead fish go with the flow. Now, you probably know that AMD loves low latencies for RAM. It thrives on low latencies. Can TCCD run 300mhz 2-2-2-5? No. At best probably 2.5-3-3-8. Can BH-5? Yes 300mhz@2-2-2-5 @ 4.06V (http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=68552) And running high vdimm with low vcore does kill cpus. read about it here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=79509 I trust the guys over at XS. It is home to plenty of WR holders including Fuggar and Crotale.

The first link shows nothing for ram voltage. So, using that link is pointless.
Besides, most motherboards don't allow ram voltage past 2.9... Running ram at 3.4 is ridiculous and very few motherboards even do it.

I went to that forum (your second link), and first of all... There's only one guy saying that. Everyone else is more like, "Really? I never knew that". Seriously, you can't use that as a source and argue that it's true. There's no factual basis. That's a myth.

If you weren't bias, you wouldn't use such a faulty and bottomless source to prove your points. Do you just put links up to prove a point while at the same time hope that nobody actually clicks on them? That's what it seems like.
__________________

__________________
The best quotes I've ever heard:
RaistlinZ - "I think God woke up one day (probably around Noon. dude likes to sleep in) and said to himself, "OMFG, these dinosaurs are just kicking too much ass. The world is not ready for them yet." "
Quinton McLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0