Athelon64 3700+ or Athelon 64 3800+ Dual Core?

1337DuD3 said:
Thank you for the good posts Quinton. :D

So I should get the X2 3800+ instead of the Opteron 144 Venus? Well, the X2 3800+ will drop price in three months anyways, and by that I should have saved up enough money to get everything, I don't know. I'll see what happens when the time comes. As for now however, I think the X2 3800+ is a tad bit expensive for my liking.

I mean $300 dollars for a CPU, seems a bit pricey to me, even when the chips are dual-core and all, I don't think it should be that high, maybe $250, but certainly not $300. Since I'm on a rather tight budget, $50 is the difference between yesterdays and todays technology gains. Hence the dual-core purchasing or the Opteron purchase.

Who knows, I think I might just get the dual-core or something, but what IS for certain si that I AM going AMD on this build, so despite whichever processor I choose, it will certainly be better then my current setup! :D

I understand. If you have to make such a tough decision now, you're better off waiting. Don't buy a processor now if you are too unsure. You'll end up hating yourself in the end. Wait a couple of months and then decide. By then, you'll have enough money saved up to get just about anything you wanted

Lord Kalthorn said:
I'm afraid I don't know the number combinations for Opterons :p But that is a surprising price. Although, I can get the best single Core Xeon for less than that price with HT, and that Opteron is probably not much better, and will need a more expensive motherboard.

Plut you can't use DDR2 with it :p

hey LK, good to see you back. Apparently opterons are now on the S939 platform. They are just San Diegos that go through more rigourous testing. And you dont need registered or ECC RAM with them either. And they oc to a high number too!

And for those that doubt there is a KAB3E, look here http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=86694

Quinton McLeod said:

I understand. If you have to make such a tough decision now, you're better off waiting. Don't buy a processor now if you are too unsure. You'll end up hating yourself in the end. Wait a couple of months and then decide. By then, you'll have enough money saved up to get just about anything you wanted

I believe I'll take your advice and purchase the dual-core processor.

Although I am curious to know, how much do you expect the X2 3800+ to drop in price once the Socket AM2 releases? Because from the information I recieved from Tom's Hardware Guide, they claimed that up to six new X2 processors will come out with the launch of the AM2. So, 6 new X2 processors coming out, do you think that will lower the price of the X2 3800+ by a considerable price; or will it just lower a tad bit?

1337DuD3 said:
I believe I'll take your advice and purchase the dual-core processor.

Although I am curious to know, how much do you expect the X2 3800+ to drop in price once the Socket AM2 releases? Because from the information I recieved from Tom's Hardware Guide, they claimed that up to six new X2 processors will come out with the launch of the AM2. So, 6 new X2 processors coming out, do you think that will lower the price of the X2 3800+ by a considerable price; or will it just lower a tad bit?

Quite possibly....

I believe I read somewhere that AMD would lower the 939 processor's price when the AM2 is released. I just don't know by how much

By a lot... the ddr2 will definitely drop prices... a socket 939 mobo will be dirt cheap...

Although.. Its going to be dirt cheap, its still State-of-the-Art. Even though its obsolete because of the new tech.. Oh well.. Still good stuff..

well then cab3e is not only awesome, it is brand new read lower no one has seen it before. also, he is on water, not air. also, that is not an opty, its a 3700///

Quinton McLeod said:

Quite possibly....

I believe I read somewhere that AMD would lower the 939 processor's price when the AM2 is released. I just don't know by how much

Well, once a company releases new products, it's natural for the 'older' products to go down in price. But I'm really wondering by how much it will be lowered. The reason I may a considerable amount is because they claimed that SIX new Athlon 64 X2 processors will launch along with the debut of the AM2.

Also! :D The new X2 processor is a 5000+. Gosh I can't wait to see the reviews on that thing!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom