ATA 133 160GB work on ATA 100 ?

arsenalbates

Daemon Poster
I have a machine that had a ide 100 60gb drive in it and now its died so it needs a new one, i have looked online and found a ata 133 drive.

but

its 160gb, will this be ok in that system or should i get a smaller sized drive ?

Check in the bios to see if the drive system can be set for 133. If it can you'll get the full potential of the drive. It's just how fast the data flows to and from the drive. You can connect a 133 to a 100 buss and it works. It's just a tad bit slower. Check the new drive for an ATA jumper. If you can't tip the system over to 133 just set the jumper in the 100 position.

ok thanks, i have just ordered one 133 ata drive as i know one will work as the one i pulled out was a 133 so i shall test it on both machines (which are identical btw).

You can plug an ATA-133 drive into ATA-100, and it will work; albeit at ATA-100 speeds. The only problem would be with the system as it might not be able to address more than 137GB. If it supports 48-bit LBA, you'll be fine.

so even if it doesn't have 48-bit LBA then i should still be able to use the drive but obviously not be able to use all 160GB of it ?

Back
Top Bottom