asus p4p8x motherboard problems

Vertiphase

Beta member
if any1 could help me i would be very grateful... i have an Asus p4p8x motherboard with onboard 3com 3c940 Gbit PCI LAN controller. until recently i have been running my cable modem through this instead of USB with no problems. but today something was wrong. after rebooting my pc i was surprised to hear TWO consecutive short beeps in POST instead of the normal one beep and when the windows start screen showed my pc rebooted itself and then continued to do this. at first i thought it was the symptoms of the sasser virus but i found out this was not the case. I unplugged everything that was not necessary for my pc to start up and through process of elimination i discovered that it was my LAN connection that was causing the problem. I booted up as normal leaving the modem cable out and my pc started up ok(but with the TWO post beeps) everything was fine until i plugged the ethernet cable back in, computer rebooted! I uninstalled the drivers and software connected to the onboard LAN and reinstalled them incase the files were corrupt but I still had the same problem as before. Now I run the modem to the computer by USB(but i have been told this takes up a lot more system resources than through the LAN). Has anyone any idea what has caused this problem and what TWO short consecutive beeps signifies(it doesnt say anything in the Asusp4p8x documentation) I would be very appreciative of ANY feedback thyanks.

Back
Top Bottom