asus Motherboard question

showcivic17

Baseband Member
i bought an ASUS p5gd1 MoBo and it only has one IDE slot so i was wondering if i should plug my 2 Harddrives into this slot then my 2 cd-roms into the primary raid slot or vice-versa(cd-roms into IDE slot, harddrives into raid slot) any help would be much appreciated

Is this the motherboard you're talking about?

ASUS P5GD1-VM Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 915G Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131520

If so, it has 2 IDE controllers. I think you should have the 2 hard drives on seperate channels (Primary and Seondary Masters) and put one of the CD Rom as the secondary slave. These days, having 2 optical drives is overkill. Most of the time, CD copies use the hard drive anyways for temp storage and buffer before it goes onto a blank disc.

Yes you can. It's a PCI expansion card with additional IDE controllers on them. Here's just an example:

SIIG USB 2.0, 1394, & Dual Channel ATA133 Raid combo card & two UltraATA cables Model US2285 - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815150028

It has more features on this one like the USB and Firewire ports too. Pretty neat. You can plug in your main primary hard drive on the motherboard and your other hard drive on that contoller with your DVD ROM.

that ones nice but nething a bit cheaper. im pluggin both my harddrives into my MoBo just need that one extra slot for my Dvd-rom and dont feel like payin more then 50$ right now. btw i wanna say that in the few days i've posted on these forums i learned alot and got lots of help. :) no more going to the store and gettin charged for stupid s**t

what does it mean its an ata100? is that slower or somethin. btw i am usin my computer for games and i would hook up my harddrives to this controller because i read the reviews and they said there were problems with optical drives plugged into that card. thnks again

(WoW,CSS,BF2,FEAR,WC3)

Do you have the exact link to your motherboard? I can't seem to find it. Once I know the motherboard specs I can tell you if that's the one you should get. I don't want to limit your speed to 100MB/s if you're capable of ATA133, not that you'll see a significant difference anways. PCI bandwidth is pretty high, I think around 120MB/s so there shouldn't be any bottlenecks with your hard drives.

i am capable of 133 speed but i dont really care to much. i jus dont wanna spend more cuz i was only suppose to get a Mobo/processor combo for xmas and so far i got a new MoBo,processor,x800gto video card,and a new power supply. lol and im pushin for a new sound card lmao..

Back
Top Bottom