ASUS A8N5X Question

Grandmaster Zok

Solid State Member
I was looking at the storage capabilities of they mobo and this is what it says:

P ATA 2 x ATA100 up to 4 Devices
P ATA RAID NV RAID 0/1/0+1 JBOD
SATA I 4
S ATA RAID NV RAID 0/1/0+1 JBOD

Could this mobo comply with a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144701

The HD says 3gb/s and is SATA. So I'm not sure if it will support it. Do you guys know?

Because at Newegg theres Serial ATA150 and SATA 3gb/s. and I'm not sure which one my mobo supports. It might even support both but I'm not sure...

Also, can I possibly install a 35 gig HD/10,000 rpm as my first drive to put windows on and everything and then install a second bigger hard drive to store all my less important apps on?

36 gig HD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144200

Then couple that with the above mentioned hard drive, the 250 gig one?

I know a little about raid 0 and Im told you need same size hard drives for that to work. So there must be another way to set up a smaller faster drive with a much larger storage drive.

Thanks guys, lots of questions, but I just don't want to order the wrong parts.

Make sure the hard drives are the same when doing RAID 0. Same speed is a must and size is preferable to be the same. In RAID 0, the total size of the drive will only be that of the smallest size hard drive in your setup.

Yeah, I believe you can use SATA II drives on SATA I supported motherboards and vice versa. It's nice to match everything because I hate mismatching stuff. If it was me, I wouldn't get that motherboard just due to the fact that it only supports SATA I. I want the new stuff (SATA II).

SATA II is backwards compatible with SATA/150 devices, allowing SATA/150 hardware to interface with SATA/300 ports and SATA/300 hardware with SATA/150 ports (but the latter at the slower 150 MB/s data rate).

Did you hear about this? "SATA-IO plans to further increase the maximum throughput of Serial ATA to 600 MB/s around the year 2007." Whoa...

why would you want to spend the extra money on sataII when its not gonna run at max?

sata IO sounds sexy :D

Well, if I got this board it would be OK to use a SATA 3gb/s HD?

Or will I need to stick with the SATA150(?).

Just plainly stated are both types of hard drives are compatible with this board or only one or the other?

Thanks guys.

ah thanks i went back over your post and found my info there. didnt before becuase i was skimming through it, as i was leaving in a few min.

Back
Top Bottom