Artic Silver wont spread or cool

Skatterbrain

Baseband Member
Pentium 4 3.0 ghz 630 Processor.
Artic 5 silver compound.

So I have been having problems with my comp restarting and I noticed it was runnin around 50 degress idle and 70 at windows startup and 60 while under a little load. So I attempted to fix it when and got some artic silver. Got rid of the thermal pad on it reseated the cpu placed a ton of artic silver on it and checked bios. It was running even hotter and would overheat if I even tried to put it under a heavy load. So someone told me that to much grease wont cool it down at all. Alright so I did it right this time. Used mineral spirit on the cpu and the heatsync to clean all of the previous grease and thermal pad wax, dried it, then I put some artic silver on there. About a size of a rice grain just like it said. Started it up checked bios and its at a idle temp of around 85 just in bios. Took the heat sync off and checked it and it didnt even spread out half the size of the chip. I know I used enough grease but no matter how much pressure I try to put on it and I know the heat sync is locked in place I cant get the grease to properly spread. And I can use more so im sort of in a bind here heh.

I hate the new crap mounting system for stock intel coolers, push to clip, turn to lock, the bloody fan is like a jet engine, it's just crap, there are articles on the net (forgot where I read it now) on how the new P4's with stock coolers don't like the thermal compound being changed from manufacturer issue, personally I'd look for a decent, quieter third party cooler before you fry your cpu.
Mineral spirit is not recommended for use on cpu/heatsinks as it tends to leave an oily residue, always use 99.9% isopropyl alcohol.

Well shit im broke right now and I need a comp heh. I tried spreading it over the chip and that seemed to cool it a bit lower when I went into bios but upon restarting it, it was just to much and it gave me the alert and stuff and shut down. So I think its a matter right now of the thermal glue not being able to get evenly spread out and pressed down. Anyway to tighten the sync without breaking the board? Or should I just order something offline heh. I atleast want something to use in the spare time damn this sucks new parts shouldnt cause annoyances

artic silver should be a thin layer, just enough to fill the gaps. nothing too thick.

Well I took everything out and everything apart. Took the mobo and the cpu and made sure eachother were connected quite well. Took about two hours carefully solidly pluggin in everything and placing everything. Powered on bam 38 degrees. Loaded up uguru in windows and it got to 55 degrees. Now its chillen at 36 so yay!! Im actually capable of fixing something thats a first for me. Only problem is my fan is only running at about 1080 rpms... How do I fix it to where it will spin faster by default speed

Abits are known to report temps higher than usual. You should be in the green. To make a fan go faster, you need to find the temp sensor on the fan it is usually a small diode on the case of the fan. Short that out by connecting the two leads with a wire.

Back
Top Bottom