Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-22-2010, 06:00 AM   #1
In Runtime

Default Argument: SSD vs HDD for upgrade

Basically just want to create a little topic here, get some input.

Scenario: Fairly ''I.T. naive'' user that I do light spreadsheet and database work for, has asked me to make his computer ''Faster'' as, in effect, he is bored of waiting for it to boot up, load to desktop etc..

Quote: ''Once its warmed up, after 2-3 mins its fine''

I've had a look at the hardware apsect side of things inside his computer and everything is ok for his use (GFX card fine, 4GB ram, 2.7GB Quad processer etc etc) Windows 7 OS.

I have been given an estimate by him of 100 - 200 depending on the degree of speed I can get it faster.. (about $200 - $350 ISH) for parts and labour. (10-20% for labour ill take)

So far I have done basics:

1) Physically opened it up and cleaned the dust out with air, checked and reseated all the parts.

2) Booted up the computer (noticed it was slow and loaded a few things) so went into the system start up menu, and disabled a few things upon booting, and created shortcuts to them on the desktop.

3) Ran a disc defrag, and tidied up a few paths, folders, put on Malwarebytes, and removed a 'nuisance' etc etc.

These gave a small noticeable improvement, now to add some hardware for his money, to make the OS / desktop load a little faster..

So what does everyone think is the best path to go down?

HDD's (maybe some raptor drives??)
SSD's (I could probably get something like a 60GB one)

I havent used SSD's before (mainly due to price) and was wondering if:

- Anyone has a few comparisons, R.E. Cost vs Efficiency
- Have they come down in price, or are likely to in the near future?
- Whats best to use in this case?
- Anything else to consider? (Maintainability, Futureproofing, other options etc etc)

Just want to throw this one out to the masses, looking for arguments for and against more than anything get some input

Luke_Uk_Baggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Argument: SSD vs HDD for upgrade

Raptors are not worth it at all.

How important is data redundancy? Does he back his stuff up regularly? RAID0 is much more cost friendly right now than an SSD is.

SSDs are going to be at the high end of the price spectrum for quite a while yet.

A computer with that hardware shouldn't take 2-3 minutes to load. I would suggest a reinstallation if one hasn't been performed for quite a while. Alternatively, you could try to run CCleaner first to see if that helps slightly. Remember to install it and then go into Safe Mode to run it.

dude_56013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
Guru

What OS is he running? I recommend you upgrade him to Win7 if he's running Vista. Secondly, remove anything crapware he's got. I know you edited the start-up programs, but you should go the whole way and just take whatever is useless out. SSDs still aren't the best price:perfomance, but I think you can get a 60GB in that price range. A second option would be to buy 2 WD Caviar Black HDDs and RAID0 them.
JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:52 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by JogaBonito1502 View Post
What OS is he running? I recommend you upgrade him to Win7 if he's running Vista.
V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke_Uk_Baggy View Post
I've had a look at the hardware apsect side of things inside his computer and everything is ok for his use (GFX card fine, 4GB ram, 2.7GB Quad processer etc etc) Windows 7 OS.
___

Quote:
Originally Posted by JogaBonito1502 View Post
Secondly, remove anything crapware he's got. I know you edited the start-up programs, but you should go the whole way and just take whatever is useless out. SSDs still aren't the best price:perfomance, but I think you can get a 60GB in that price range. A second option would be to buy 2 WD Caviar Black HDDs and RAID0 them.
Not necessarily necessary. If you can get them cheap sure (good price here), but Seagate has some very nice drives as well that are actually faster than Blacks for a cheaper price (model linked is single platter, hence faster speed). Not a fan boy of either. I've got both in my system.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
Guru

I missed that. My bad. OS is good. I'm not a fanboy either, I just haven't memorized any of Seagate's names to recommend them
JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:57 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

The .12 drives are great. Most haven't had the problems that the .11's were plagued with (talking about Seagates here).
Old 06-22-2010, 07:29 PM   #7
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_56013 View Post
Alternatively, you could try to run CCleaner first to see if that helps slightly. Remember to install it and then go into Safe Mode to run it.
I concur, use ccleaner, clean out all those temp files and etc. It works miracles sometimes.
ACES WILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:02 PM   #8
Omnicide now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_56013 View Post
The .12 drives are great. Most haven't had the problems that the .11's were plagued with (talking about Seagates here).
I thought the .11s were fine, but it was the early .12s that were terrible. I've got a .11 in my htpc, and it is a very good drive, considering that it's 1.5TB.

The new single platter .12s are epically fast though. My single platter .10s outbench raptors, and they have only gotten faster since then. The caviar blacks are also very good, but single platter is better for RAID0.
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:05 AM   #9
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothead View Post
I thought the .11s were fine, but it was the early .12s that were terrible. I've got a .11 in my htpc, and it is a very good drive, considering that it's 1.5TB.

The new single platter .12s are epically fast though. My single platter .10s outbench raptors, and they have only gotten faster since then. The caviar blacks are also very good, but single platter is better for RAID0.
Well, when I was researching on that single platter .12 (500GB 16MB Cache) that you had recommended me a while back, I came up with lots of info on how they are much more reliable vs. SOME of the old .11s. I also have 2 - .11's and they are still going strong. They are now used for data backup, though, since I got new WD black 1TBs a while back for like $84 a piece + free dock on Egg shell shocker.

But yes. ONE .12 is fast, TWO in RAID0 simply blows a Raptor out of the water. Period. I'd love to see what 3 would do.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:53 AM   #10
Daemon Poster

Send a message via ICQ to The_Lucas Send a message via MSN to The_Lucas Send a message via Yahoo to The_Lucas

Get a registry cleaner (not CCleaner) and clean your registry and optimize it. I've made quite a few bucks on scenarios like yours. Here's the registry cleaner I use: http://www.vitsoft.org.ua/Download/V...on%20Setup.exe

http://lucasbytegeni.us
Quote:
Originally Posted by krone6 View Post
Doesn't "loatheing" something the same as "love?" Whenever i hear it be used the person "loves" that product or service or whatever it is they're talking about.
The_Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote