Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-17-2015, 06:20 AM   #1
Baseband Member

Smile apu?

hey guys

so, I've been looking around on the web and found this thing from amd which they call a apu.
they look, in my opinion, quite promising but would it be worth the money?(maybe letting it run with another graphics card, crossfire)

I've been looking at this one specifically: AMD A10-7700K

cheers!

Joost

zeezeiler99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:01 AM   #2
Golden Master

Default Re: apu?

Its another one of AMD's CPU's with integrated GPU's, I think they are beating Intel's integrated GPU's at the moment. You wouldn't be able to run a crossfire as its an integrated GPU not a dedicated one.

BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:35 AM   #3
Fully Optimized

As BK already said, You can't crossfire an APU's GPU with a dedicated GPU.
You can make them cooperate with video rendering and encoding in certain supported programs. (Nothing gaming related. Purely work based cooperation)

If you are gonna buy a dedicated GPU anyway, i'll recommend one of their FX CPU or an Intel CPU.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:37 AM   #4
Golden Master

Hey Biker correct me if I'm wrong but aren't AMD's current APU's GPU's beating Intel's GPU's?
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:39 AM   #5
Fully Optimized

Previously they did. But i don't know how they stack up to Intels integrated GPU's now
Old 08-17-2015, 10:06 AM   #6
In Runtime

Skylake's igpu is pretty solid from my understanding. But I am sure an apu would beat it. And you can have a dedicated gpu with an apu. Its called dual graphics. It works for every application, even games.
jarlmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:34 AM   #7
Fully Optimized

Yeah my money is on the APU's graphics as well. Hard to find a direct comparison though.

I think you are mistaking. Dual graphics just means you have 2 GPU's. Not if you can use them at the same time.

If you take a computer with dual graphics it will only be using one at the time, unless you download specific software.
But as default it only switches between them to save power (by shutting down the main GPU).

however i think you are referring to Lucid Virtu.
It does infact allow the 2 GPU's to cooperate in games. I didn't think it could do that. I just googled it.
I though that the software were only created to keep the integrated GPU alive so it could utilize Intel's Quick Sync software without you having to switch GPU.

I might give Lucid Virtu a try. Hope it supports SLI + integrated graphics.
It adds some anti tearing feature and a few extra fps. (nothing like crossfire though)
Old 08-17-2015, 02:32 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

an APU is only worth it if you are going to use the integrated graphics accelerator, which in my opinion is lacking for 1080p.

I recently put together an A10-7870k system for a friend, we almost immediately ended up using a dedicated card anyway since the APU GPU's gaming performance was not up to par for 1080p. Would be great for 720p...

I'd recommend just buying an FX8 or 9 series processor. The GPU in the APUs are uninspiring and the CPUs are not as good as FX series CPUs.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:14 PM   #9
In Runtime

No look up dual graphics. You can crossfire an APU's iGPU and a dedicated gpu for marginally better performance. Linus did some benches with dual graphics. Check it out.
jarlmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:20 AM   #10
Fully Optimized

I'll be damned. You are right.
I am sorry for trying to correct you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerEcho
If you take a computer with dual graphics it will only be using one at the time, unless you download specific software.
But as default it only switches between them to save power (by shutting down the main GPU).
Apparently i was thinking of switchable graphics.