Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-12-2005, 12:28 AM   #11
Fully Optimized
Send a message via AIM to Nik00117 Send a message via MSN to Nik00117 Send a message via Yahoo to Nik00117
Default Re: Applying Thermal Paste

I know a lot about hwo to in thoery put a computer. BUt if you put me in fron tof a case with some parts I don't think i'd have a clue where to start. Maybe he had bought a $$$ computer online and then learnedthe inner workings. But I don't know how to apply thermal paste. I'll learn this week though or next week.

Main Rig: I7 920 CPU, 6 Gigs ram 5870 GPU
M17X Laptop 2.8 Ghz Dual Core, 4870 Radeon
Nik00117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 01:11 AM   #12

Well, I haven't built a computer before. I had a pretty good idea of how to do it but as most first computer builds I am nervous so I asked. Incase you didn't know thats what these forums are for.

Also, being a guru doesn't mean anything. We have had mods with what? Less than 100 Posts? As you can see I could be the smartest person on these forums (Which I'm not ) And Still have maybe 10 posts. Being a guru doesn't mean much. Just means you have posted on a forum over 1,000 times.

Computergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 02:07 AM   #13
Fully Optimized
Default Re: Applying Thermal Paste

Originally Posted by lurkswithin
read this on lapping and it might help you with heating problems a little further down the road
after this has been done just apply a light dab evenly spred over the small contact area only. very simple. Then press the heatsink down on the chip and remove it. Look to see if it was applied too much and spred all over the chip. If it has then wipe off all the excess. Now mount the chip in the socket and them permanately install the heatsink. you are good to go.
i read that page and it sounds little extreme. most ppl don't really do that do they?

CPU-Intel Pentium 4 630 3.0Ghz / 2MB Cache ~~OS Windows XP SP2
MOBO-Gigabyte 8I915P Duo Pro Intel Socket 775 (PCI-E)~~HDD-Western Digital 160GB(SATA)
PSU-Aspire 500W ATX~~RAM-1GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (512x2 Dual Channel)
GPU-MSI GeForce 6600 GT(PCI Express)~~Monitor Viewsonic VA902B 19" 8ms~~ ATI TV Wonder Pro (TV Tuner)
~~Still to come~~: eVGA e-GeForce 7800 GT
Dishdog is offline   Reply With Quote