Applying Thermal Paste

Sounds noobish of course, but this is my first buld and I want it to be a good one.

How can I apply thermal paste well? I am told an old credit card works good.

A very little dab will do you. you do not want to apply so much that it smears all over the chip when the heatsink is mounted.

>edit<
hold on just a sec. looking something up!
>edit<

read this on lapping and it might help you with heating problems a little further down the road
http://www.directron.com/hsflapping.html
after this has been done just apply a light dab evenly spred over the small contact area only. very simple. Then press the heatsink down on the chip and remove it. Look to see if it was applied too much and spred all over the chip. If it has then wipe off all the excess. Now mount the chip in the socket and them permanately install the heatsink. you are good to go.

computergen, i am not trying to be mean, just honest. How is it that you are a guru at cf, yet you do not know how to install a heatsink and cpu with thermal paste? That is basic computer know how.

BigLu said:
computergen, i am not trying to be mean, just honest. How is it that you are a guru at cf, yet you do not know how to install a heatsink and cpu with thermal paste? That is basic computer know how.

A lot of people know the internal workings of an operating system or are fully in line with gaming issues and similar things without ever having been inside a computer.
The sub titles are designed to identify the member as a long time poster of threads and not so much as an expert although they usually go hand in hand.
also, he may have purchased all his prior mobo parts and chip parts as installed and tested in which is a very smart choice as it guarantees that they work. In such a case he would have no reason or experience to know about how much thermal paste to use and like you and me and a lot others he asked those that he thought would know how.

I wasn't trying to be mean about it, please don't think of it that way, it just caught me off guard because computergen has given me some great advice. I thank him for that. it was just strange seing him not know something that i did about computers.

I didn't really know either. it's just something i have never done before. As lurkswithin said the tiltle guro is just saying that you have bin here for awhile. i'm a guro but i'm stilling learning some of the basics about building a computer from the ground up.

BigLu said:
I wasn't trying to be mean about it, please don't think of it that way, it just caught me off guard because computergen has given me some great advice. I thank him for that. it was just strange seing him not know something that i did about computers.

If I thought that you were being mean....there would be NO question in your mind about it.

Back
Top Bottom