Apple really outdid themselves

I don't doubt that many companies are working on wireless power and in fact there are. I guess I should have clarified that Apple is the only PHONE manufacturer working on this tech for phones (that I'm aware of). From my understanding, Apple is pretty close to getting this tech working. Of course once they do, this will expand to every electronic device before too long. It's revolutionary and will change innumerable parts of our society. But it's looking like Apple will be first to the party with true wireless power transmission for their phones.

Everyone seems to be forgetting their history. In fact, Nikola Tesla designed and created wireless power transmission years ago and it was killed off by JP Morgan because he couldn't meter and charge for it.
Apple is working out the near field methods of this technology that is very similar to radio (which was also invented by Nikola Tesla and given away freely. Marconi took the free idea and took credit for it and was credited with the invention until more recently)

Tesla just liked to invent and was brilliant, but he wasn't interested in becoming rich from his work, he preferred to make mankind richer by giving away almost all of his discoveries and inventions.

Apple is the polar opposite to this approach and will keep things secret if doing so will benefit the company at the expense of the betterment of mankind. Their current efforts are just another way to rip off someone else's ideas for profit.
Apple will only release their tech after they have a way to restrain and limit it to the extent that it cannot be used by other companies to build products to run off the neighbors Apple tap to get free power to their devices.
Google is also working on the same basic idea and it will be interesting to see which tech giant gets there first, or best. Google holds the patent for Magnetodynamic wireless transmission.

Last edited:
It always amazes me that so many people consider Apple to be such an innovative company that "invents" many things or technologies. According to this Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_top_United_States_patent_recipients, Apple has never even been in the top 10 of companies receiving patents in the past 18 years. IBM tops the list every year but companies like Samsung and Google are in there too.

Most people don't consider IBM to be particularly innovative but it's the company that invented the floppy disk drive, the hard disk drive and the relational database among many other technologies.

I mean Apple doesn't necessarily invent new technology but they do refine it and bring it to a usable state. Sure Tesla invented the first system for wireless power transmission. But it involved a massive network of Tesla coils that arced massive amounts of electricity from one to the other. It also required huge transformers to step the energy down. Not to mention the fact that it would have killed anyone who walked near one... Tesla didn't ever implement it anyway. So no, Apple didn't invent wireless power transmission, but if they do implement their whole room wireless charging tech next year like they say they are, then they will be the first to invent that specific technology. Google and others are working on wireless power transmission in another facet, whereas Apple is honing in on wireless charging for phones.

Apple isn't the most innovative company ever. Google, IBM, Microsoft, and Elon Musk are the big four that come to mind. But I think it's silly to discredit Apple. Volume of patents isn't the be all end all in terms of who's innovating what btw.

You seem to have several misconceptions about Tesla inventions. They didn't require towers arcing power between them and didn't kill people near them. A little more research will help you understand it better perhaps.

Also to equate innovation with invention is not correct. Innovation is finding new uses for existing technologies and invention is creating new technologies that did not exist.

According to dictionary.com, we're both right:

verb (used without object), innovated, innovating. 1. to introduce something new; make changes in anything established.

verb (used with object), innovated, innovating. 2. to introduce (something new) for or as if for the first time: to innovate a computer operating system.

3. Archaic. to alter.

Innovation is combining what's already there into a new amalgamation of technologies. The parts already existed the new thing is created from existing things. Another way of looking at it is recombinant things. It's different from invention in that respect.
It's also similar but the two are not interchangeable.

This is so true!

lol I thought this was funny, so I looked into the specs of both phones, it really is true, Apple is still lagging behind 2 year old tech from Samsung. Even their screen is dimmer than the S5. 625 cd/m2 (nit) for Apple vs 698 cd/m2 for S5.:lol:
They are also still behind the HTC One M8 in terms of stereo speaker configuration.

No removeable battery means the phone has a life expectancy of about 18 months to 24 months.

They did outdo the others in terms of price gouging though at 3 times more than you can buy an unlocked S5 for.

If you really hate money and leading edge technology and love being second best, Apple is the way to go.:thumb:

I mean Apple doesn't necessarily invent new technology but they do refine it and bring it to a usable state. Sure Tesla invented the first system for wireless power transmission. But it involved a massive network of Tesla coils that arced massive amounts of electricity from one to the other. It also required huge transformers to step the energy down. Not to mention the fact that it would have killed anyone who walked near one... Tesla didn't ever implement it anyway. So no, Apple didn't invent wireless power transmission, but if they do implement their whole room wireless charging tech next year like they say they are, then they will be the first to invent that specific technology. Google and others are working on wireless power transmission in another facet, whereas Apple is honing in on wireless charging for phones.

Apple isn't the most innovative company ever. Google, IBM, Microsoft, and Elon Musk are the big four that come to mind. But I think it's silly to discredit Apple. Volume of patents isn't the be all end all in terms of who's innovating what btw.

You should (seriously) read before making such statements.

I think the question that we're all missing is why do Apple need to innovate. We're talking about a company that patented a square icon.

They don't innovate at all anymore and only seem to try to stiffle technology with overly broad patents...

Apple is the new Microsoft.

Back
Top Bottom