Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-17-2006, 01:36 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default APIC... Yay or Nay?

I have recently ran the wonderful software, Sandra Lite. It is a analizing and benchmark tool that helps the user see areas of improvement on their system.

The big one that came up for me is: APIC. The software told me that I do not have APIC enabled on my bios and that I could easily do so by engaging it in BIOS. I have read and heard of a lot of APIC horror stories and I'm afraid that I would have to reinstall everything if windows would fail to boot after enabling APIC.

Is it really worth it? My system is running pretty good now for a brand new build, so should I try to jepordize it with APIC? Or maybe I'm completely confused and enabling APIC is easy and harmless.

Go ahead you computer saavs!

Old 11-17-2006, 01:46 PM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz
Default Re: APIC... Yay or Nay?

I would say to give it a go, what ya got to lose? If ya dont like it just disable it. Heres an article that might help ya make ya mind up

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/sysperf/apic.mspx

Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:47 PM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

oooooooo just noticed ive passed 1000 posts lol
Old 11-18-2006, 02:11 AM   #4
Baseband Member

What about shadow / cache options in bios? The program also said I should enable these in my bios.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:25 AM   #5
Golden Master

I would do whatever sisoft sandra is tellin ya, its a decent program. And like i said above if you get any problems then just reverse the procedure.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:02 PM   #6
Baseband Member

I did some research on the video/cache shadowing. Apparently these options are used in conjunction when video was ran through the bios rather than PCI. It appears that the general concensus is to leave it disabled due to system crashes with new generation hardware. I guess my lesson is: If it's not broke, dont fix it...and certainly dont screw up bios.