Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-27-2008, 11:55 AM   #11
Solid State Member

Default Re: Anyone knowledgeable about Apple?

thank you for all the replies. the adviser had a recommended setup page on apple for education page, but it was outdated, and the specs werent available anymore, such as just 3 gig, and the nvidia card. and it will just be adobe photoshop/indesign/illustrator, and some flash. she also suggested against the notebooks, as it will "probly get stolen on this campus" lol. and i can just use an ipod to transfer files, so i wont need the portability.

can anyone spec out a mac pro that would be sufficient? not too over the top, but not just the minimum that would get me by either

poptarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:26 PM   #12
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage

All I know is, 5 a day keeps the doc....oh, that kind of Apple...

If they do a dual core in laptops, it may be worth going for that.
For graphic designand such though, unless you are playing games, a top notch graphics card probably isn't needed, but if your doing any kind of 3D based work, then a good card will push a lot more polys, and so increase your work flow, and so is probably advised (No need to get an 8800 or anything though)

Old 04-27-2008, 04:51 PM   #13
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by poptarts View Post
thank you for all the replies. the adviser had a recommended setup page on apple for education page, but it was outdated, and the specs werent available anymore, such as just 3 gig, and the nvidia card. and it will just be adobe photoshop/indesign/illustrator, and some flash. she also suggested against the notebooks, as it will "probly get stolen on this campus" lol. and i can just use an ipod to transfer files, so i wont need the portability.

can anyone spec out a mac pro that would be sufficient? not too over the top, but not just the minimum that would get me by either

Check out this link:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...ly/macbook_pro

The entry-level Pro will be sufficient for your needs. Its got a 200GB hard drive, 2GB RAM, and a great processor. If you want to upgrade the RAM, you can always buy it from an aftermarket seller, as Apple really rips you off.