Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-08-2011, 04:27 AM   #1
Fully Optimized
Default Anyone know of any method to test a system for bottlenecks?

just out of curiosity and in relation to nbrikha's thread here: http://www.computerforums.org/hardwa...pu-109961.html

Does anyone know how you would go about testing a system for bottlenecks such as using benchmarking software or any other method?

Core i7 2600K Sandybridge + Prolimatech Megahalems Cooler ₪ Asus P8P67 DELUXE ₪ G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB DDR3 1600MHz ₪ Crossfire 5870's ₪ OCZ GameXstream 850w ₪ X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS edition ₪ OCZ Vertex 3 120GB ₪ Antec P182 ₪ NAS ReadyDuo 4Tb ₪ BenQ FP241WZ 24" Widescreen LCD ₪ Windows 7 x64
Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
Fully Optimized
Default Re: Anyone know of any method to test a system for bottlenecks?

The best way is to find apps that will perform according to a set of guidelines.

Generally, when you test a CPU bottleneck, in a game, you would lower the resolution to something below what most graphics cards can handle without raising their activity meter. i.e. 1280x1024 or lower. The CPU then becomes the heavy hitter there, and you can compare results across processor families or competitors products.

To isolate the GPUs, run the game at the highest possible resolution with ALL of the effects turned to max. The results are generally the video cards entirely. The CPU will still do some lifting, but the GPUs are going to be the most stressed.

Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:35 AM   #3
Fully Optimized
Default Re: Anyone know of any method to test a system for bottlenecks?

great post from OG.
if we are talking about games:
you can also try to downclock the CPU and see how much FPS you looses, if your FPS disincrease alot then it might be CPU bottlenecking.
also by overclocking it and if you get a surprising increase then it whould also be a sign of a bottleneck.
MOBO: Asus Maximus 6 Hero - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980ti xtreme - CPU: I7-4770K - PSU: Corsair AX760
RAM: Corsair Vantage 2x4GB - SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 512GB - Case: NZXT H440
BikerEcho is online now   Reply With Quote