Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-13-2008, 02:18 AM   #1
BSOD
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 54
Default anybody have a PS3?

Linux does not rely on graphical hardware to operate (outside of displaying it), so does Yellow Dog Distribution function well on the Playstation 3?
Does internet browsing (via Firefox), OpenOffice function optimally?
Basically, can it substitute for a computer (basic functions, not games, not HD Video)?

Also, has anybody attempted downloading Xvid video through torrents (which are usually encoded around DVD-resolution) and then playing it?

How is the playback performance on Linux? And if it's not optimal, you could just play it via the Playstation OS itself, correct?

Sorry, i'm rather inexperienced with Linux, and Windows has spoiled me . My younger brother is looking to see whether the Playstation 3 would be a good choice for him. He wants to use it for basic computing through Linux, and gaming through Playstation Operating System.

Thank You.
,Kevin
__________________

KevinLeigh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:00 AM   #2
Fully Optimized
 
_-..zKiLLA..-_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,952
Send a message via AIM to _-..zKiLLA..-_
Default Re: anybody have a PS3?

yeah well once u have the linux installed then u cant go back to the Playstation OS easily.i would just stick with the original plystation. its works fine for web browsing. and y not just buy a EEPC instead? there just about the same price and the EEPC will actually do more of what u want. the PS3 is made for gaming. so dont expect putting linux and gettting a PC it doesn't work like that. and BTW its not easy to install and use linux especially on the PS3
__________________

__________________
My beast lappy: Acer netbook, 1.6ghz atom dual core, 2gb ddr3
My PSN: Kalikid_420
_-..zKiLLA..-_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:33 AM   #3
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 333
Default Re: anybody have a PS3?

The PS3 has Xvid play back. However, you can't download torrents. So you would have to find a directdownload for whatever.
TheLastWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:37 AM   #4
Golden Master
 
MikeReiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,053
Send a message via AIM to MikeReiner Send a message via MSN to MikeReiner Send a message via Yahoo to MikeReiner
Default Re: anybody have a PS3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _-..zKiLLA..-_ View Post
yeah well once u have the linux installed then u cant go back to the Playstation OS easily.i would just stick with the original plystation. its works fine for web browsing. and y not just buy a EEPC instead? there just about the same price and the EEPC will actually do more of what u want. the PS3 is made for gaming. so dont expect putting linux and gettting a PC it doesn't work like that. and BTW its not easy to install and use linux especially on the PS3
Stop talking like you know what you're talking about, you're filling this individual with your assumptions, which creates more confusion, and just makes problems.

Kevin, install the PS3 version of ubuntu. It will do just fine for your needs.
MikeReiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:14 AM   #5
BSOD
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 54
Default Re: anybody have a PS3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeReiner View Post
Stop talking like you know what you're talking about, you're filling this individual with your assumptions, which creates more confusion, and just makes problems.

Kevin, install the PS3 version of ubuntu. It will do just fine for your needs.
Thank You. Can't I use everything the same in Yellow Dog? I've heard its better optimized. (since its for PS3 specifically and all). And then technically I could type up documents, download torrents, listen to music, surf the web, etc, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLeigh22 View Post
so does Yellow Dog Distribution function well on the Playstation 3?
Does internet browsing (via Firefox), OpenOffice function optimally?
Basically, can it substitute for a computer (basic functions, not games, not HD Video)?

Also, has anybody attempted downloading Xvid video through torrents (which are usually encoded around DVD-resolution) and then playing it?

How is the playback performance on Linux? And if it's not optimal, you could just play it via the Playstation OS itself, correct?
ZKilla missed my entire point; I meant can I download torrents using a client within Linux? (i.e. Transmission, CTorrent, Azureus?)

And I said I needed it to perform basic functions, which the PS OS isn't capable of.
KevinLeigh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:28 PM   #6
Daemon Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 766
Default Re: anybody have a PS3?

I have a PS3, but I have not bothered with Linux at all.

I don't know that much about it, but from the ground up, as it's a console, and not built for linux at all, I doubt that it will do it's task well as a desktop replacement.

You can get a decent Linux PC for $200 now, that is easily able to do everyday tasks, including video. You're far better off going with that, rather than modding a PS3. A PS3 with linux is more of a novelty.

Here, check out this shuttle pc, it's $220:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/04/...kpc/index.html

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856101065

Or, of course, you could build your own computer...that's probably cheaper and more powerful.

You also said that the PS3 doesn't even use the graphic hardware in Linux (or barely), and I doubt it can utilize it's 7 cores efficiently in the Linux environment. So, building is a much better idea.

Mobo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128045 $55

CPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103037 $44

Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822210004 $45

Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182001 $13

Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147074 $27

RAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820161028 $20

Cd Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827106088 $17

Total: $221

Then just download Ubuntu for free.
aowen416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:37 PM   #7
xxcobraxx
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: England
Posts: 6,224
Default Re: anybody have a PS3?

mike just ran up a bill on zkilla's face

youch lol, sorry i was reading this and i have know idea but it sounds like mike is confedent and applys the correct answer

marks full man

google research aswell would help as i just googled all your needs and it came up with akll the answers

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...e+Search&meta=
__________________
Liveleaker
IAntDemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:20 PM   #8
Fully Optimized
 
_-..zKiLLA..-_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,952
Send a message via AIM to _-..zKiLLA..-_
Default Re: anybody have a PS3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeReiner View Post
Stop talking like you know what you're talking about, you're filling this individual with your assumptions, which creates more confusion, and just makes problems.

Kevin, install the PS3 version of ubuntu. It will do just fine for your needs.
do u even have a PS3?? i do and im tellin u linux cant take advantage of the graphics like the PS OS can. and plus PS3 has what maybe a gig of RAM. how much do u think u can do with

ps3 ram
256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz -CPU
256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz-GPU


im not tryin to flame man.
__________________
My beast lappy: Acer netbook, 1.6ghz atom dual core, 2gb ddr3
My PSN: Kalikid_420
_-..zKiLLA..-_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:04 PM   #9
Golden Master
 
MikeReiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,053
Send a message via AIM to MikeReiner Send a message via MSN to MikeReiner Send a message via Yahoo to MikeReiner
Default Re: anybody have a PS3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _-..zKiLLA..-_ View Post
do u even have a PS3?? i do and im tellin u linux cant take advantage of the graphics like the PS OS can. and plus PS3 has what maybe a gig of RAM. how much do u think u can do with

ps3 ram
256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz -CPU
256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz-GPU


im not tryin to flame man.

If you even paid attention to this thread, you would know that the lack of GPU acceleration support isn't a big issue. 256 megs of ram is plenty for ubuntu, especially for basic tasks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLeigh22 View Post
Thank You. Can't I use everything the same in Yellow Dog? I've heard its better optimized. (since its for PS3 specifically and all). And then technically I could type up documents, download torrents, listen to music, surf the web, etc, correct?



ZKilla missed my entire point; I meant can I download torrents using a client within Linux? (i.e. Transmission, CTorrent, Azureus?)

And I said I needed it to perform basic functions, which the PS OS isn't capable of.
http://psubuntu.com/
With this installed on your PS3, you can run pretty much anything Ubuntu could on a PC, especially all those basic tasks you want.
Torrenting should be fine.

I actually don't own a PS3, but I've been keeping my eye on linux for it, as I plan to get one soon.
MikeReiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:50 AM   #10
xxcobraxx
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: England
Posts: 6,224
Default Re: anybody have a PS3?

bascailly mark has done really good research and has learnt and studied well.
__________________

__________________
Liveleaker
IAntDemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0