Any one use a gigabit switch?

If you do what brand and model is it and do you like it?

I use a netgear GS108. Works great, but the power supply failed. The power supply is just one of those cheap wall cube things. I plug it into a 12v regulated power supply that I use for other stuff and the switch works flawlessly.

63083, a gigabit switch is kind of like an ethernet hub, only instead of broadcasting everything to every device on the network it sends the ethernet packets to just the recipient computer or device. They are commonly rated for 100 megabits of data transfer per second, the gigabit switch is rated for 1000 megabits.

Russel What did you give for that model? Does it come in a 5 port version?

What I've got going is the T-1 connection goes to the router then to a gateway box then out to the front desk. From there they put in a 5 port 10/100 switch to feed the front and back offices. The gigabit switches that feeds the access points is fed off that same 10/100 switch. I'm looking to replace the 10/100 switch with a gigabit switch. It's all cisco gear.
I did read the netgear products have a long life and few failures.
I'm wanting to bypass the gateway box and gigabit all the way to the back of the property. I'll be putting in security cameras soon that have a internet accessable dvr. So lots of speed with a decent throughput is needed.

Seti,

If you have Cisco switches, you should be able to do some port teaming between switches in order to speed things waay up.

I'm not able to get access to the internal programming as I didn't buy the equipment. I think you need web sense to get in and I don't have it.

Pretty cool. I didn't know like anything about these "switchers". I don't need em' though. LOL.

Russel What did you give for that model? Does it come in a 5 port version?

What I've got going is the T-1 connection goes to the router then to a gateway box then out to the front desk. From there they put in a 5 port 10/100 switch to feed the front and back offices. The gigabit switches that feeds the access points is fed off that same 10/100 switch. I'm looking to replace the 10/100 switch with a gigabit switch. It's all cisco gear.
I did read the netgear products have a long life and few failures.
I'm wanting to bypass the gateway box and gigabit all the way to the back of the property. I'll be putting in security cameras soon that have a internet accessable dvr. So lots of speed with a decent throughput is needed.

To be honest, it has been so long I don't remember what I paid for it.

[edit] Yes it does come in a 5 port model.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122128
[end edit]
I wouldn't be worried about one 5 port gigabit switch over another. If you don't need anything fancy, just shop for a reasonably priced switch.

I need to be cautious as I won't always be here to fix network errors that occure. So I need something that will do the job with little or no human intervention. And is simple enough that I can walk some one non tech savvy through trouble shooting a problem.

Thanks every one for your input.

Back
Top Bottom