Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-03-2007, 07:32 PM   #1
Golden Master

Default Antivirus for Vista

I finally installed the newest version of AVG. It's the free one. So far, it's been pretty good. It's not as bloated as Norton and the scan is quick. For free, it's a great deal.

Now, the stupid Windows popup doesn't show up anymore telling me to get an antivirus utility installed .

AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 7.5
http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Vir...ml?tag=lst-0-2

Get it there!!!! Vista compatible. (man, I hate this dulicate thread error--what is the deal with that?!?!?)

Old 03-03-2007, 07:34 PM   #2
Golden Master

Default Re: Antivirus for Vista

Sweet!! Not using Vista now, but good to know that I'll have some A/V protection.

I can finally stop doing this:

Old 03-03-2007, 07:39 PM   #3
Golden Master

There are some other ones out there, but this one came highly recommended. If this works out, I will never, EVER buy Norton ever again. I mean Norton has this stupid subscription you have to pay and renew every year (except for the Corporate Edition version--that one's nice). I hope this one doesn't have that kind of gimmick too.

For firewall, I'm not using anything other software but the built in Windows Firewall. Then I'm using Windows Defender for spyware. All for free....what a deal. Microsoft is finally doing something right.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:41 PM   #4
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDCorolla
There are some other ones out there, but this one came highly recommended. If this works out, I will never, EVER buy Norton ever again. I mean Norton has this stupid subscription you have to pay and renew every year (except for the Corporate Edition version--that one's nice). I hope this one doesn't have that kind of gimmick too.

For firewall, I'm not using anything other software but the built in Windows Firewall. Then I'm using Windows Defender for spyware. All for free....what a deal. Microsoft is finally doing something right.
Yep, that's the same setup I have with XP, except I'm using Ad-aware. How do you like Windows Defender?
Old 03-03-2007, 07:43 PM   #5
Golden Master

It works well. It detects the usual files that Counterspy detected (that was my other antispyware from before). I have torrent and some p2p loaded on my PC and caught those. I just "ignore" them and Windows Defender leaves them alone. It looks very nice (very similar to Counterspy).
Old 03-03-2007, 07:46 PM   #6
Golden Master

That's good, I don't really rely on Microsoft's security now, so...

I'd get a decent firewall, but I've got a hardware firewall with my router.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:50 PM   #7
Golden Master

I may get a dedicated firewall later on. The Google toolbar also blocks a lot of the popups too. Then Vista always has this window that pops up everytime something gets installed. It's kind of like a security measure. If anything were to be written to be executed in certain directories, it would let me know with that annoying popup. So I guess it's like a firewall sort of thing. The best part about this setup is there isn't too many conflicts and frees up a lot of system resources for Vista.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:43 PM   #8
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

MS Defender is good, works great in XP too when coupled with ad-aware.

if you want another suggestion for anti-virus go for NOD32. its not free, but there is a 30-day fully functional free trial avalaible. Loads faster than my norton was, and uses less than 1/8 the resources on my machine.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:15 PM   #9
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to aff1993

you all suck, use NOD32, its really good, and small footprint BITCHES!!!

|--- I have a PC with 2.2ghz Celeron D, 1024MB RAM, Windows Vista Home Premium, 32MB Graphics card, 200GB HDD, 24x DVD Burner ---|
aff1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:23 PM   #10
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to superman22x Send a message via Yahoo to superman22x

aff1993, do you have some kind of hate for this forum?