Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-21-2006, 05:20 AM   #1
Beta Member

Default Antivirus

Hi all. As I am new to computers, I am wondering if an older antivirus (such as Norton Antivirus 2004) is just as good as Norton's 2006, or if I have to fork out money each year to buy the new version. Also, what software could you generally recommend for a trouble-free installation? I'm running windows xp, and I'll be using the computer for everything. Thanks in advance,

Juggernaut.

juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:34 AM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz
Default Re: Antivirus

IMO ya antivirus is only as good as ya last update, because of the new viruses appearing everyday. Also i would avoid norton coz it is well known for being powerhungry. Im running bit defender at the moment and its really good, kaspersky is canny aswell. Everyone will have their own ideas of whats best tho

Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:41 AM   #3
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to Toby Send a message via Yahoo to Toby

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggernaut
Hi all. As I am new to computers, I am wondering if an older antivirus (such as Norton Antivirus 2004) is just as good as Norton's 2006, or if I have to fork out money each year to buy the new version. Also, what software could you generally recommend for a trouble-free installation? I'm running windows xp, and I'll be using the computer for everything. Thanks in advance,

Juggernaut.
As far as antivirus goes, it is important not just to update the signatures... But also the product itself, as each new version generally is more capable of detecting new viruses... With better scanning engine's and etc.
Dell Inspiron 9400 Notebook 120GB 5400RPM SATA HDD, 500GB 7200RPM SATA External HDD, DVD+-RW, DVD+-RW External, Mobile Intel Calistoga i945PM, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GhZ, 2GB DDR2-667MhZ Dual Channel SDRAM, Nvidia GeForce GO 7900 GS 256MB Single-Pipe.
TinyXP Rev05, PerfectDisk, TuneUp Utilities, Window Washer, Nod32, Bo-Clean, SuperAntiSpyware Pro, Spyware Blaster, Comodo Firewall Pro.
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:21 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

www.avast.com
www.bitdefender.com

Try them, I use Avast! myself and I think its great.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:57 AM   #5
The Candyman

also some service provider's will offer free antivirus with their subscription, it depends on the subscription though. cable internet has a free antivirus that goes with the hookup, but that's on the East coast, it will differ from other areas.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:03 AM   #6
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charchris
www.avast.com
www.bitdefender.com

Try them, I use Avast! myself and I think its great.
That is what i use also, but just a recommendation, dont run two anti-vir at once, because basicly they will find each other as viruses..

PokerDegenerate: Don't listen to these guys, I like the IDE makes it look vintage like a 68 Camaro SS...
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:22 AM   #7
The Candyman

it's true, you can not run two anti virus programs at the same time, they will infact conflict, and most anti-virus will warn you of this if you do.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:34 PM   #8
Daemon Poster

yes, you must always keep your antivirus program up to date with the latest definitions. i think mcafee is a good paid antivirus program (and if you have verizon with msn premium you get it for free....don't know what internet provider you have, but thought i'd put that out there for people's info). your 2004 norton isn't protecting you now though, so i would get something as soon as possible.
Antec 300 Case, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3GHz, Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L, PNY 4GB PC6400 800MHz DDR2 RAM, XFX Radeon HD 5550 1GB DDR3 Ram, 1TB Western Digital Black 7200 32MB cache, 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, Antec Earthwatts 500 Watts
thebigdintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:12 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

I personally like NOD32, it's great at detecting unknown stuff. Kaspersky is good, but it reports a lot of false positives such as registry changes and stuff. It's good but I got sick of the notifications. If you want to go the free route, definitely go with Avast or avira, AVG is good but it doesn't seem to detect as well as the other two.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:21 AM   #10
Baseband Member

IMO, avast is the best u can get, also u need some antispyware, either go with spybot or for a really good one, go with spysweeper, little pricey if u want the spysweeper, but its the best u can get, IMO. You can have two diff antispyware programs but not two antivirus programs. Id go with both the spybot and spysweeper at the same time, just so u can be protected completely, and get avast.

coolcomputer89 is offline   Reply With Quote