Anti Static Band + Sata help?

Skybucks100

Solid State Member
Hi,
Well, I have 2 questions:
My first question, i'm building a computer. So I bought a Anti Static band, well where do I put the alligator clip? I've heard putting it on the chassis or on the carpet? Which is best?

My second question, when I was buying my hard drive. I bought a refurbished one, and I accidentally bought a ATA hard drive. My motherboard only supports SATA, so I went to Fry's and asked if they had a ATA (or IDE?) to SATA converter they said "Oh we usually do, but we are currently out of stock." and online all I could was find was a ATA to USB converter. Anyone know if their is actually a ATA to SATA converter?

Thanks!

Are you sure you didn't buy a sata and your motherboard supports only IDE, I've not known a motherboard to not accept IDE.. well I could be wrong :)

What harddrive is it.. does it have a serial or brand that you can tell me..

And I'd prefer to clip it to the side near the cd drive, make sure it's metal not paint work over the metal :) you should be fine..

Hi,
The HD is a:
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 - Hard drive - 80 GB - internal - 3.5" - ATA-100 - 7200 rpm - buffer: 2 MB
and the motherboard is a:
Gigabyte Super4 GA-H61N-USB3 LGA1155 Intel H61 Chipset Mini-ITX Motherboard

Also, the case I have has a plastic front so that would work so great.. But thanks anyways! :D

Yeah, that's IDE alright. Not sure why you decided to buy a used hard drive. That is the LAST component that I'd buy used. They tend to die on or before the 5 year mark and yours is already 5 years old at least. Instead of getting an adapter, I'd bite the bullet and buy a new hard drive, or even a "manufacturer" refurbished newer one. Check Ebay and make sure it's manufacturer refurbished. Only buy from a reputable seller. I recommend new however, and I'd go to Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! for that.

Hi,
Well, since the thai land (I believe) flooding, it has caused the hard drive prices to rise almost %180. Btw, the hard drive is Manufacturer refurbished. I was planning on getting a 1tb SATA one in feburary.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom