Another thread about hardware issues

robertward203

Beta member
First off, hey everyone, and it's nice to be on this forum.

But anyway, I recently changed some parts of my pc (motherboard, cpu and 8gb Ram). There were some issues getting it working the first time, because there were some problems with the motherboard. It got fixed though, but the crooks at asus never replaced it

It started working though, but since it was only 32-bit, i could only have 4gb ram, so i re-installed windows with a 64-bit disk. This worked, but the pc wouldn't detect my video card, even though it should have been compatible with both 32 and 64-bit

Seeing as my brother knows computer stuff, i called him over to look at it but he just took the videocard out and fiddled around with it (not entirely sure) but now, all that happens when i try to turn it on, is that the fans go on for a second, before dying again.

Basically:
. 32 bit works, but only half the ram
. installed 64 bit, couldn't detect videocard
. brother fiddled, pc only turns on for a second

I'm considering that maybe it's an issue with the CPU, but i was hoping for some advice from some more experienced people. And sorry it's a bit long :p

check the memory is seated correctly this is a common issue that happens with incorrectly seated or shorted memory because of incorrtly seating also check the power supply voltage with a power supply tester or multi meter depending on power supply sata/ide.

make sure the processor is seated correctly and not pins are bent due to incorrect seating of the processor.

or get a professional to look at it

:D

check the memory is seated correctly this is a common issue that happens with incorrectly seated or shorted memory because of incorrtly seating also check the power supply voltage with a power supply tester or multi meter depending on power supply sata/ide.

make sure the processor is seated correctly and not pins are bent due to incorrect seating of the processor.

or get a professional to look at it

:D

+1 ^

Because of what's already been done to that machine, it's impossible for anyone to give you a definitive reason for your issues.

I would first start by making sure that everything is seated correctly as Fujitsu_man above me says. Re-seat the memory, cpu, graphics card, every power supply connector, everything!

When I say he "fiddled around with it" all he did was try reslotting the video card somewhere else.

Anyway, I tried swapping the RAM into a different slot and now, not only does it die after a few seconds, but it doesn't turn on at all

I also took the CPU out, and found that some of the grey coolant gunk has leaked onto the chips. Would this affect it in anyway? If so, is there any way to fix it?

That "grey coolant gunk" is most likely thermal paste. That is normal and should be reapplied any time you remove the heat sink from the CPU.

That "grey coolant gunk" is most likely thermal paste. That is normal and should be reapplied any time you remove the heat sink from the CPU.

This is correct, be sure you thoroughly clean both the heat sink block, and the CPU heat spreader with 91% Isopropyl alcohol, before you apply the new TIM.

Back
Top Bottom