Another ROM checksum error thread

R_ACE1

Beta member
Hello everyone and Happy New Year

My problem is when I boot up my HP, it will stop at ROM checksum error and locate a media drive, from there the screen just hangs. I cannot enter the BIOS nor boot from another device (i.e. using Ultimate Boot cd).

I've read some threads regarding checksum errors on this site and seems like it could be almost anything from reseting the BIOS, replacing the battery, all the way to removing all unnesessary devices from the computer and playing trial and error. One thing I saw googling this information was reflashing the BIOS. For whatever the reason for this problem, would reflashing be a solution? Or is it something to omit from the troubleshooting equation.

Overall I know there are some people here who have come across this problem before. I would like their experience in this matter.

Thank you for the help.

My specs are:

HP Pavilion m7650n
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo with Viiv technology
GPU: Intel graphics media accelerator 3000
RAM: 2Gigs
HDD: 320Gigs

It could be anything from an installed peripheral, a graphics card, or your motherboard.

Do you have any peripheral cards? If so is your graphics card one of them? If so do you have an integrated graphics card?
**If you answered yes to all three, try removing all peripheral cards including your graphics card and see if that works.

If that didn't fix anything then try and flash the bios. Make sure you know what you are doing.

Reset your BIOS via the jumper\switch
if this fails
Replace your CMOS battery
if this fails
See if you can find out how to flash the BIOS without being able to boot, which you probably cant
if you cant
Check your warranty status. From the looks of it somehow your BIOS became corrupt.

Back
Top Bottom