Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-31-2011, 07:15 PM   #21
BSOD
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 61
Default Re: ANOTHER failing hard drive?!!!!

ok, and quick question, can vista handle a 1 terabyte hard drive? or should i switch to xp or windows 7? because ive only tested the hard drive with windows vista and not xp or 7
__________________

cjphalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:43 PM   #22
Site Team
 
celegorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,713
Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: ANOTHER failing hard drive?!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjphalen View Post
ok, and quick question, can vista handle a 1 terabyte hard drive? or should i switch to xp or windows 7? because ive only tested the hard drive with windows vista and not xp or 7
there isn't an OS on the market now that can't support a 1TB drive. Drive format is what makes most of the difference. Either way, anything XP and newer can support 1TB drives.
__________________

__________________
"as a fanboy i refuse to admit it and will pull countless things out of my butt to disprove it"

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:05 PM   #23
BSOD
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 61
Default Re: ANOTHER failing hard drive?!!!!

oh ok because i got an error from vista and yeah but thanks
cjphalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:52 PM   #24
Site Team
 
celegorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,713
Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: ANOTHER failing hard drive?!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjphalen View Post
oh ok because i got an error from vista and yeah but thanks
Then the drive and/or controller drivers were bad, or you set something up wrong
__________________
"as a fanboy i refuse to admit it and will pull countless things out of my butt to disprove it"

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:57 PM   #25
BSOD
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 61
Default Re: ANOTHER failing hard drive?!!!!

well i plugged it in internally with sata and whatnot, went to the disk management and set a drive letter and then the next day i turned it on and it was no where to be found, not even in the disk management

i have it plugged in right now and i can't find it anywhere. its not in computer, disk management, or device manager.
cjphalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:11 AM   #26
Golden Master
 
Kage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 13,873
Send a message via MSN to Kage
Default Re: ANOTHER failing hard drive?!!!!

Update:

I took the two drives to Micro Direct this morning, after running Dban to clear the drives for testing.

They did a quick test on each drive (took around 10 minutes each) and they both came back fine.
He said to run a extended test at home, and write down any errors if something still isn't right.

The only conclusion I can come up with now, is that my Intel RAID controller isn't worth using again, and to just run drives as standalone.
Maybe it's the controller that has been causing all the issues on my drives.

Another thought, is because all the drives now contain only 0's, there won't be any bad sectors to test for using a quick test, so something could still be up.

EDIT:

Running extended tests on each. Approx 2 hours a drive
__________________
Abit IP35 Pro / Q6600 G0 / Zalman 9700 / 8800GTS 640mb / 4x 2GB Corsair XMS / X-FI Xtreme M / 1x 1TB / Antec 900 / Logitech Z-5500 / Samsung 20inch
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:05 PM   #27
Daemon Poster
 
GibsonSGKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,384
Default Re: ANOTHER failing hard drive?!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post
Update:

I took the two drives to Micro Direct this morning, after running Dban to clear the drives for testing.

They did a quick test on each drive (took around 10 minutes each) and they both came back fine.
He said to run a extended test at home, and write down any errors if something still isn't right.

The only conclusion I can come up with now, is that my Intel RAID controller isn't worth using again, and to just run drives as standalone.
Maybe it's the controller that has been causing all the issues on my drives.

Another thought, is because all the drives now contain only 0's, there won't be any bad sectors to test for using a quick test, so something could still be up.

EDIT:

Running extended tests on each. Approx 2 hours a drive
That does seem like a common factor, you've had all of these drives in some sort of RAID configuration, correct? Maybe it's the controller after all. Might want to do a test on your PSU just to be on the safe side too, just to make sure it's putting out reasonably clean power at the right voltages.
__________________
C2Q Q9400 @ 3.2GHZ | Zalman 9900 LED HeatSink | Asus P5E3 Pro Motherboard | CM Storm Scout case | 1TB Caviar Black HDD | GTX760 4GB | 23" Acer [1920x1080] & 21.6" Asus [1920x1080] monitors
GibsonSGKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:11 AM   #28
Golden Master
 
Kage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 13,873
Send a message via MSN to Kage
Default Re: ANOTHER failing hard drive?!!!!

Yep, all extended tests came out fine. So I guess the only thing to do now is re-install Windows on one drive, and use the other as a backup, and some un-important files.
Won't be trusting Intel RAID again.

Does anyone know of a free imaging program like Norton Ghost that will create an image of the drive when Windows is set up/programs installed/upgrades installed?

Is this any good?
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp
__________________
Abit IP35 Pro / Q6600 G0 / Zalman 9700 / 8800GTS 640mb / 4x 2GB Corsair XMS / X-FI Xtreme M / 1x 1TB / Antec 900 / Logitech Z-5500 / Samsung 20inch
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #29
Daemon Poster
 
GibsonSGKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,384
Default Re: ANOTHER failing hard drive?!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post
Yep, all extended tests came out fine. So I guess the only thing to do now is re-install Windows on one drive, and use the other as a backup, and some un-important files.
Won't be trusting Intel RAID again.

Does anyone know of a free imaging program like Norton Ghost that will create an image of the drive when Windows is set up/programs installed/upgrades installed?

Is this any good?
Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download
Ugh, I used to know of a really good one, and can't remember it atm.... I'll see if I can dig up the name of it again.
__________________
C2Q Q9400 @ 3.2GHZ | Zalman 9900 LED HeatSink | Asus P5E3 Pro Motherboard | CM Storm Scout case | 1TB Caviar Black HDD | GTX760 4GB | 23" Acer [1920x1080] & 21.6" Asus [1920x1080] monitors
GibsonSGKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:10 PM   #30
Golden Master
 
Kage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 13,873
Send a message via MSN to Kage
Default Re: ANOTHER failing hard drive?!!!!

Hope you can remember
__________________

__________________
Abit IP35 Pro / Q6600 G0 / Zalman 9700 / 8800GTS 640mb / 4x 2GB Corsair XMS / X-FI Xtreme M / 1x 1TB / Antec 900 / Logitech Z-5500 / Samsung 20inch
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0