Annoying Problem Erasing Files...

Jamxx

Fully Optimized
Hey guys.

I recently attempted to download a demo version of Star Wars Republic Commando for my friend (I have the game and it's pretty awesome, and he wanted to try it out), but he downloaded it before I could get it to him. Now, I have a zero byte file on my desktop taking up space. So, I try and delete it, and it says that it cannot be deleted due to another program or person is using it. I'm the only user on my computer, and I don't know what program could possibly be using it except Firefox, which I closed completely off in the task manager... It's really starting to bug me! How can I get rid of this?

Thanks!

-Jamxx

I don't think I have a virus. It is an official download of the demo of the game from CNET's "Download.com" site. I've scanned my computer with Norton's Full System Scan, and I get nothing. I'm almost positive this isn't a virus.

Have you tried to remove it from the registry?
Start>Run write regedit then press ENTER
In your registry editor click on the top left click on EDIT and then on the down drop FIND;
Write down the name of the program and then click F3 (find next); when you see the registry finder stop at a key delete it, press ENTER to confirm and then press F3 to continue till all the keys are removed.
After you have removed all the keys, try deleting it. If it won't delete, there may be other keys you will have to remove links related to the game like the manufacturer: like symantec is linked to norton.

The search did not come up with anything. I used the name "RepublicCommandoDemo" and "republiccommandodemo" (I didn't know if the search was case sensitive), so I tried both. Did I mention that this was a cancelled download file? That means that the file is 0 bytes, and has no information about it in the summary section of the properties window.

Grrr... This is annoying.

You made your search too long; just do a search for republic for instance and when the editor stops at a key, just make sure it is not part of another program you might have.
The editor will stop at any instance where the word (case sensitive or not is found). For instance if you have a would search for public, the search would stop on republic!
Check demo, you might find the right key name you are searching to be able to delete that file name.
Also if you would have Norton Utilities or jv16 you could easily wipe it out.

zodiak that was a really stupid response.

Try quitting all programs in taskmanager says owner on them, except the ones you kNOW you need. I used to have a file like that, I did it and it worked, hope it does.

The resgistry thing that zero is talking about will work, if it doesn't then you just aren't getting all the keys.

I can't find a registry key applying to that specific file. For that matter, I can't find one even about the installed version of the game that I have... It's a bit odd.

How can I go about removing this with Norton? I have Systemworks, so I have Utilities, and I can do it that way.

Back
Top Bottom