Annoying Download Problem

AnonymousI

In Runtime
I am running a home server (Server 2003 and primary domain) and right now, I am on a wireless desktop client (XP Pro) connected to the server.

Whenever I try to download anything from the internet even files as small as 100 KB, my entire internet connection STALLS on me! I cannot do anything that involves the internet - I cannot even open My Computer - it just stalls for no reason. And the "best" part is that my wireless speed goes down the toilet from 54 Mbps to 2 Mbps in a matter of 5 seconds. I see the wireless connection status and only shows it sending - not receiving. This happens for a good frustrating 1-5 minutes (depends on my attempts to access the inter/intranet after clicking on save) Bear in mind that this situation happens if I have a network drive connected to a server share, which I am. Also, I don't even save downloads in my network drive!
confused.gif

After that, my internet connection "short circuits" (after the speed drops to below 2 Mbps) - it quickly disconnects then reconnects. (I see this when I try to open My computer or network drive while trying to download - it says: Z:\ Drive is not accessible or The network connection to this device failed or something like that). After it does its thing, then everything is restored (network drive, internet) and the wireless speed "magically" rebounds to 54 Mbps in seconds and then I can download (however, it still starts out downloading at mediocre dial-up speeds and then climbing up to regular speeds).

However, if I disconnect my network drive before downloading, then the download can happen seamlessly. I also tried to use this command on my server: "net config server -autodisconnect:-1" but that didnt help me.

Any ideas? (I also want to keep my network drive whenever I download
wink.gif
)

I'm not sure but it happened recently. Even after I reimage my computer or rebind it to the domain, I still get the same problem. I think its because of a microsoft update cause I have it set to download and install at 3 AM.

Right now, I'm checking the group policy settings on my client (XP Pro).

Back
Top Bottom