Annoying

haxor1

Solid State Member
I finally get all the parts to my computer and I don't have video?

I hear the HD whirl up and everything seems ok. My motherboard doesn't have onboard video so I am using a PCI video card. The card is probably ok because it works with another PC, but doesn't work with mine. It did work with mine a couple times and then stopped working. I'm thinking that the CPU could possibly be fried. I didn't have a heatsink on it and it smelt like it was burning so I quickly took it out (maybe 5 seconds went by). I somewhat doubt that it could be fried, but ya never know. All the pins on the CPU are not bent and none are missing. When I did manage to get the computer to show video it froze at boot screen and the CPU was very hot and burnt me when I took it out. The computer sounds like it is ok, but I do not get video. Another strange thing is when I put in a fan is when the video didn't show up anymore.

Thanks for all your help,

Here are specs of PC:

64 MB ATI video card
512 PC 2100
450 Watt PSU
PC Chips M950 Motherboard
2.4 GHZ socket 478 CPU

U started the pc with no heatsink on the CPU!? Not a too smart thing to do. And if it burnt u when u touched it then it must be atlest about 100 C. And that is way too hot for a CPU. So I am guessing that it is fried.

yeah if you had the heat sink off and it burnt you it's gonna be fryed, and if you proposly didn't put it on then your not gonna get warrenty coverage.

Chris

This would almost definitely be the cause of the video problems, too. No CPU, no video (or anything else).

I was wondering if maybe the motherboard could have gotten fried also? If the CPU is attached to the motherboard and it was at high temperature wouldn't it make the socket very hot and fry motherboard?

If the CPU is fried, it will affect onboard video because the NOrthbridge chipset handles communications from the CPU to the video controllers on the motherboard.

spank_fusion said:
It's possible.

I somehow doubt it, cuz it seems to work properly and the main heat of the CPU goes into the board. I hope not... :-(

Maybe the CPU is intact. Get the specified heatsink and try it....it's not smart booting without one

Back
Top Bottom