Analog to Digital Display performance change?

thebigdintx

Daemon Poster
Would there be any performance gain switching from an analog lcd display to a digital one? does it slow the computer/graphics card down having to convert a digital signal coming in over the internet to an analog display?

From what I understand, your graphics card has either one DVI connector and one VGA connector or both DVI connectors. I assume that you have your current monitor plugged into the VGA?

I have recently changed monitors from a Dell 19" FlatScreen monitor that was just VGA to a Samsung SyncMaster 950MG LCD TV which is suited for both PC and TV use. As it is a new monitor, it of course boasts a higher contrast ratio, DVI + HDMI + Component support and a high brightness level.

If you were looking for a nicer, sharper and overall vibrant picture - I would recommend getting a Digital LCD (preferably HD ready if your looking for a LCD/TV combination). DVI gives a pure digital and quality picture, here is a quote from CNET:

When connected via an analog connection, an LCD is vulnerable to the same distortions that affect CRT monitors. However, when connected via a digital connection, often labeled DVI (for Digital Visual Interface), no digital-to-analog conversion is required, and there should be no loss or corruption of the signal. As a result, when running at its native resolution, an LCD should give you a cleaner and crisper image than you'd see on a CRT.

Also, you mentioned if the performance level would go down. It would drop if you were at higher resolutions but from you PC spec, it looks ok.

Regards,
AJ

If you use a long VGA cable, the quality will degrade as VGA is an analog signal and it degrades over distance. DVI is a digital signal and it won't degrade over a long distance.

Back
Top Bottom