AMD vs Intel

deepesh1193

In Runtime
Had this doubt from a long time.. The AMD processors are cheap than Intel. And here the retailers say that they are good for gaming. Which one is better means is the Intel costing more due to its brand name or its worth it because here in India most people know only Intel. AMD has come a few years back.. and people are knowing its name slowly..

Just about all Quads and up in the right system will do good in gaming, having said that atm I use Intel i7 ... but my next build I hope to use AMD Piledriver FX-8.

I ws asking for genral use too not for gaming only.. means it is worth spending money on intel or having cheap amd is better??

Once again in to the breech dear friends. CRY HAVOK!!! And release the dogs of war.
FOR ME, for me, Intel has given me years and years of great service. Not only is the chip internally thermally protected, it's smart in how it goes about trying to cool itself down. It's throttles back 50% when the upper limit is close or has been reached. It checks over a period of time for any cool down. If it continues to run hot, it will issue a signal that tells the motherboard "It's too freaking hot baby. See ya...". If the motherboard is set up to listen then it does a hard shut down.
You have to seriously work at getting an Intel chip to give up the ghost.
But every AMD chip I've had if it got too hot it when up in a puff of smoke. It's my understanding that AMD depends on the temp sensors on the motherboard to protect it. By the time the underside of the chip gets hot enough to trigger a shut down, it's too late.
Modern AMD chips may have internal thermal protection. But as recent as 5 years ago they did not. I had a real nice AMD based rig and I knocked over the case one night. It was a prebuilt Dell. Something obviously came loose somewhere cause next time I fired it up it never made it to XP boot up screen. I heard a loud pop and it was over with.

Either chip will do the mundane everyday stuff. Either chip will game. Not all of either chips will overclock. A lot of them do.
It comes down to what fits the job you have in mind for it.
Me? Intel all the way...
attachment.php

And the debate rages on...

Last edited:
oh thanks for the info setishock.. :)
I too had heard that Intel processors are better for the Indian temperature but didn't knew this much.. so spending money on intel is better..

I am an AMD fanboy and I will swear that AMD is better in every way possible and that Intel is teh suxx0r.

Both Intel and AMD offer great processors. It all depends on your application and desires what would be better for you.

I am an AMD fanboy and I will swear that AMD is better in every way possible and that Intel is teh suxx0r.

Both Intel and AMD offer great processors. It all depends on your application and desires what would be better for you.

yup for specific applications we could decide it.. but was having the query for just a general purpose pcs.. and mainly for the cost difference that is it worth it for paying for intel.. as I see the specifications I find AMD processors more powerful.. but as setishock stated the difference I find worth paying for Intel..

I have always used Intel and this is the first time I have a had pc that has had a AMD processor in it and I rather intel..

the most important spec when looking for a CPU (other then compatibility) is the architecture.
a good architecture with cores running at 2,5 can eliminate an "out of date" or bad architecture with cores running at 3,5.
When looking at benchmarks it is clear too see that intel makes better architectures.
AMD is cheaper however, so i'll say that's AMD's stronghold. i hope that AMD's next lineup of CPU's are more impressive.

I think the answer is generally Intels chips at the current point in time are faster, however you are correct they are more expensive.

Is the extra performance worth the extra cost, this is probably something only you can judge, any modern day processor AMD or Intel will handle most tasks you throw at it with good speed. The difference will probably come 2 or 3 years down the line when programs get bigger and demand more processing power, which Is when I believe Intel will prevail.

Back
Top Bottom