Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-18-2007, 10:04 AM   #1
Fully Optimized
Default AMD Plans To Ship Triple-Core Desktop Processor

The day before Intel (INTC)'s big developers forum, Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) tried to grab some headlines on Monday. It announced plans to ship in the first quarter of next year a triple-core processor for the desktop and it tried to sell Wall Street on the performance characteristics of its specialized multi-core designs.
AMD introduced a new Phenom microprocessor, which would be in addition to the quad-core desktop chip that AMD plans to ship this year. The Phenom microprocessors are native multi-core chips, which means the cores are on a single die of silicon.

"With our advanced multi-core architecture, AMD is in a unique position to enable a wider range of premium desktop solutions, providing a smarter choice for customers and end users," Greg White, VP and general manager of AMD's Desktop Division, said in a statement.

Intel offers a Core 2 quad-core processor for the desktop, but not a three-core model. Intel's quad-core architecture comprises two dual-core chips. The cores are not on the same die, which AMD has argued provides less flexibility and lower performance. Intel touts benchmarks that show otherwise.

AMD started shipping its first quad-core processor this month, Codenamed Barcelona, the processor, sold under the Opteron brand, is for powering servers. Intel, on the other hand, has been shipping quad-core chips for about a year. In shipping a three-core model, AMD believes it can offer a product with more computing power than a dual-core chip, but less expensive than quad-core processors, which are in a fraction of total desktop shipments.

AMD's three-core processor contains its Direct Connect Architecture, which had been available only with 64-bit Opteron, Athlon, and Turion chips for servers, desktops, and notebooks, respectively. The DCA is used as an alternative to a front-side bus, which is favored by Intel. In the architecture, the memory controller and I/O are connected directly to the central processing unit, or CPU. AMD claims this results in faster communication speeds, which means a higher performing chip.

In addition, the new three-core product will feature HyperTransport 3.0 technology links, up to 16 Gbps of high bandwidth I/O, and a shared Level 3 cache, which is a third bank of memory on the processor for storing instructions. The processor also takes advantage of AMD's Cool 'n' Quiet technology, which allows a computer to decrease and increase performance heat levels depending on usage demand, as well as regulate fan speeds.

- Asus P6T Deluxe v2 - Intel i7 920 @4Ghz 1.35v- Prolimatech HS - Cosmos S Case -
- ABS Tagan BZ Series BZ800 PSU
- ATI 5870 - G.SKILL 6GB DDR3 1600 - Razer Barracuda™ AC-1
- 120GB Crucial C300 SSD & 3X WD640AAKS HDD
- Dell 24" 2408WFP & 2407WFP-HC Monitor
Zer0Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:09 PM   #2
Daemon Poster
Default Re: AMD Plans To Ship Triple-Core Desktop Processor

So this thing is a little worse than a quad-core, in some cases, but alot cheaper? I wonder if you can put two of them together lol

I'll bee looking for this in the coming year..

Captain Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:25 PM   #3
Golden Master
Default Re: AMD Plans To Ship Triple-Core Desktop Processor

Tbh its just a quad core with one core cut off
And yeah it might fill a section of the market that isnt catered for but who knows
Desktop-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+-2GB Elixer DDR2 800 250gb+500gb+500gb+120gb
Laptop-Apple Macbook Pro 13" Intel core i5(2.3ghz) 4gb Ram 320gb hard drive
muz is offline   Reply With Quote