AMD Phenom II x6 ???

madmadmad

Baseband Member
Im building my first gaming computer and I am trying to decide between the Intel i7-920 and the AMD Phenom II x6. I can't really find any info on the AMD (price, release date ect.) other than its going to be a competitor with the i7s and will probable be cheaper. I am just woundering if you guys have an opinion on the matter.

-THX

go for 5870 myself because its going to be cheaper most likely and the heat will be much lower - i havnt read much into the 400 series yet

Depends on what games you're playing. Many newer and/or recently updated games actually can use that many threads. ALL Source games can, and almost everyone plays one of those.

Depends on what games you're playing. Many newer and/or recently updated games actually can use that many threads. ALL Source games can, and almost everyone plays one of those.

Yes, but with a single 5870, there is no need for anything more powerful than a 955.

OP, get a 5850, flash to 5870 BIOS. Boom, you saved $100 and it will perform within 5% of a true 5870.

Then, keep the money you saved from the CPU and the 5850 and use it to buy a second 5850, do the same. It will own a system with a Phenom II x6 and a single 5870.

Get the ASUS or HIS reference models for this.

What mobo are you gonna use? 5850 Xfire costs $100 less, runs cooler, and overclocks better. It also looks cooler. :D

It performs nearly identical at stock.

Well, do you have one picked out for each CPU?

I would personally go with the MSI 790FX-GD70 for AM3. intel really is not my thing, but the ASUS P6T looks nice.

You would do best to save some cash and go the Phenom II 955 route. It will perform exactly the same or negligibly close to an i7 in games, don't listen to anyone who tells you different.

Back
Top Bottom