amd phenom II VS Intel Core i7

shook772

Solid State Member
which is better? i hate intel i think amd is better for gaming. which card do you guys think is better?

which chip models are we comparing?

i7 920 is pretty much comparable to a 955/965 in gaming. The i7 beats it to hell in video encoding, number crunching type stuff.

The 955 destroys the 920 in gaming when you consider that you will save $200 that can be spent on a video card upgrade. This is my perspective.

which chip models are we comparing?

i7 920 is pretty much comparable to a 955/965 in gaming. The i7 beats it to hell in video encoding, number crunching type stuff.

The 955 destroys the 920 in gaming when you consider that you will save $200 that can be spent on a video card upgrade. This is my perspective.

The
920 only costs around $200 last time I checked, where in the world are you getting these prices? :eek:

The 920 is $288.

LGA1366 motherboards cost considerably more because the RAM controller is built into the motherboard.

A decent one will run you $250.

If you're ONLY gaming, an AMD build is the better buy, especially if you plan to crossfire. The 790FX chipset is usually cheaper than any intel board that handles 16x/16x.

For anything else, intel usually wins. AMD's Athlon II and Phenom II chips were built to compete with Intel's Core 2 cpu's, which they do admirably. Nehalem-based cpu's (i3/i5/i7), however, nearly always win. Even the dual-core ones can rival most of AMD's quads.

foothead;1****10 said:
The 920 is $288.

LGA1366 motherboards cost considerably more because the RAM controller is built into the motherboard.

A decent one will run you $250.

With LGA1366 set ups the RAM controller is built into the CPU not on the motherboard.

Well where did I hear that then...?

Not sure. Pre Core iX series motherboards had memory controllers on the motherboard. One of the major headlines with the Core iX CPU's was the on-die memory controller. Like AMD CPU's.

Why do the motherboards cost so much then? Is it entirely the cost of the chipset or something else?

I think so. The EX58's handle Xfire and SLI and the Intel Southbridge chips offer many options.

Back
Top Bottom