AMD and my dilemma

sweetshoes18

Beta member
Ok... so here is the deal:

I am building my friend a computer and its ganna be the 3rd one I have built. I decided not to go 64 bit, cause it is pointless for the fact that there is no software that utilizes the power and i dont plan on geting 3-4 gigs of ram and 32 bit programs would be much slower on 64bit. So im going to go with a trusty ole':

AMD athlon XP 3000+

I have been leaning on MSI and AbIt motherboards but I have heard alot of good things from asus -moreso EpoX for its overclocking ....

So whats the choice motherboard in your eyes for this situation?

I have 2 systems, both of which use MSI Mother Boards.
I have an MSI 8453 MAX in my old box.
and a MSI 865PE Neo3-F in my new system.
The old one is 2 years old now, and never once let me down.
as for OCing, I would not know, I never OC any of my hardware.

I have to agree with Computergen, the DFI Lanparty boards are nice-if you plan on overclocking. I have heard pretty good reviews about the MSI boards and the Abit boards. I was faced with this same decision a month back and decided to go with a Gigabyte, and I have no complaints. Very solid board, plus it has a dual BIOS, you never know when that might come in handy.

Um well Vista won't be worth getting....don't bother...its XP just redone. Plus 64 bit isn't the greatest. It can't run 16 bit apps and 32 bit apps run slower.

Never had a problem with my Chaintech board. Huge 4 year warranty, good at overclocking, very fast, never had a problem.

If I were you.... get an amd 3200+ 64. Why? dual cores... they're out. And they're going to be used more and more. The xp will be a bad choice. An amd 64 with socket 939 will be easily upgradable and trust me... your friend will thank me. but, if you want... it's good, I guess.

Windows Vista will have a 32-bit version and a 64-bit version I believe. I would get the 64-bit (dual cores even) hardware ready because there's no sense on spending money to build something that old. Unless of course, it's for budget purposes.

My choice of motherboards are MSI and ....that's it. Check out this bad boy for that Athlon XP CPU:

MSI K7N2 Delta2 Platinum Socket A (Socket 462) NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130458

Back
Top Bottom