AMD or Intel?

acphenom said:
Dell have an Intel-only agreement, meaning that they get their CPU's the cheapest and first, which is really sad, considering the energy and power wasted by the CPU's, as well as the butt-ugly performance.

Haha, considering alot of Fortune 500 companies buy from Dell...

acphenom said:
The day Intel change their desktop lines to Pentium M's is the day they have a real challenge for AMD.

Actually, they should leave the Pentium M line as it is and concentrate on improving the Penitum 4.

acphenom said:
I'm quite disturbed that they're making a 32-bit dual-core mobile CPU though, especially with AMD having the Turion out.

Why not? A dual-core Pentium M will be pretty interesting. AMD is notortious for their energy-sucking, high-powered mobile CPUs. The Turion is a very impressive processor that has improved over their Mobile Athlon 64s, but it has to crack the Pentium Ms' time proven performance and show compaines that it's worth investing in.

acphenom said:
This is the 21st century, where being energy-efficient is very important. Pentium 4's and D's certainly aren't energy-efficient, but Pentium M's definitely are, and are far from being poor performers.

Mainstream computing is going 64-bit and with AMD having 64-bit mobile CPU's out, it's rather unwise of Intel to make a 32-bit dual-core CPU. They're gonna lose a lot of sales to those who want 64-bit notebooks.

Energy-effieciency is only needed for notebooks because no one wants to carry around heavy batteries. For desktops, it's ok for them to use lots of energy, just as long as they work efficiently and have great performance. AMD just managed to hit two birds with one stone...they make efficient processors that consume less energy.

Keep in mind that not all programs are 64-bit. It will take time before 64-bit becomes widespread and mainstream, just like BluRay.

AMD is much better than Intel, period. No arguments. I SAID NO AGRUMENTS GOD DAMN IT. SHUT UP. * beats sh*t out of imaginary tormenter*.

Haha. Chaos Affinity easily describes the problem AMD have with selling their Processors. The people who buy their processors are naturally insane, eventually get sent to jail, and the authorities burn their Equipment.

Laptops last people around 2-4 years, i'd think, so your laptop could be lacking for quite a while, if you get a 32-bit one.

Also, it is important to be energy-efficient. AMD beats Intel with no doubt. Intel may have slight advantages in some areas, but that is no excuse for the ridiculous design. 3.8GHz and still can't beat a 2.6GHz Athlon in performance.

Pentium Ms are more power efficient? And if you want a 64-bit Processor in time, you should always be able to upgrade your Pentium M.

Yeah, but upgrading a notebook CPU is a lot harder than upgrading a desktop CPU...as far as i know.

Yup...it involes taking apart very precious and fragile components that are nessesary for the computer.

Back
Top Bottom