Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 05:21 PM   #751
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to winterfreshpwnz Send a message via MSN to winterfreshpwnz
Default Re: AMD or Intel?

lol, indeed, gigabyte's new card looks hot!

Old 12-26-2004, 01:45 PM   #752
Golden Master

So what is the best CPU to use on overall performance (multitasking and playing games at the same time)? I keep leaning towards the new P4 because of the PCIe support and all. The Athlon 64 is a mean processor, but everything else is the same on the board.

Old 12-26-2004, 02:06 PM   #753
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to Giancarlo

Definitely AMD with the Athlon 64+.... PCIe... one problem... there is almost no difference between AGP 8X and PCIe... and PCIe slots will be coming soon on AMD supported boards. Why go with something that brings you almost no difference, and go with a 32-bit processor? Plus, Intel has 20 pipelines, while AMD has 8. Lower is better in this case.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:12 PM   #754
Golden Master

oh cool, that is leaning me a bit more towards the AMD side. AMD's already got a Gigabyte board that supports PCIe retail at Newegg. I saw it in another post. But the 64-bit won't use any of it's potential yet because there's no 64-bit application for it right? Or is it still faster even on 32-bit applications?
Old 12-26-2004, 06:34 PM   #755
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to winterfreshpwnz Send a message via MSN to winterfreshpwnz

Even though there aren't 64-bit apps yet, it just means that AMD 64 will run 32-bit apps that much better and smoother and you are still more future-ready with the AMD 64. And the nforce 4 boards are coming soon. As well as nforce 4 SLI which I'm sur eyou already know can run two gfx cards at a time, something Intel doesn't have yet. The FX-55 IMO is the best CPU out from either company and you can even see some benches over at anandtech.com which is the best benchmark, news, etc. site around IMO. As a matter of fact, here is a bench that was made about two months ago when the fx-55 and 4000+ were first coming out. The results clearly show AMD being the all around winner.

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2249
Old 12-26-2004, 07:15 PM   #756
Golden Master

yup, I've made my decision already. Intel no more. Athlon 64 is in!!!!!!!! You guys convinced me. Maybe Intel can play catch up one of these days. By the way, great website for reviews.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:22 PM   #757
In Runtime

Send a message via ICQ to inimino Send a message via AIM to inimino

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDCorolla1
But the 64-bit won't use any of it's potential yet because there's no 64-bit application for it right?
Actually, you can run most GNU/Linux distributions in 64-bit mode, and it makes a huge difference. Windows has not caught up yet naturally.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:24 PM   #758
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to athlon64fx

actually, there's lots on teh server side! he he! more apps will come be patient for them to work teh bugs out! tehy'll come they are depending on us to demand them more, btu they'll come and they will rock with amd64!!!
Old 12-26-2004, 07:27 PM   #759
In Runtime

Send a message via ICQ to inimino Send a message via AIM to inimino

Well doesn't matter to me, I'm not a Windows user.

But you have so many vendors you have to wait for, it will be a while before 64-bit is viable on Windows.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:56 PM   #760
Guru

Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn

Its terribly true; I've had to go around searching and fiddling just to get internet on the Evaluation Version of Windows XP x64.

Loads of stuff just doesn't work.