AMD or Intel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AMD64 FOR: Good for games
AGAINST: Poor multi-tasking

INTEL P4 HT FOR: Good for Games, Great at multi-tasking.
Against.................. None that I can think of

May have to revise it slightly, After using Corel draw 12 & Photoshop cs simultaneously I can now say that the AMD64 is VERY POOR at multi-tasking.

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2249

Go ahead and check out this 17-page review, amd wins in just about every bench, and of course CRUSHES intel in the gaming department and actually fairs very well in multitasking, winning in one of the benches I believe and I can only imagine how well they will do when 64-bit applications start to become more common. People I think underestimate amd's power when it comes to running applications and the likes, they even win in most rendering benches and office applications. They still aren't the best in encoding, but there are hardly any benches where amd gets owned entirely, it's either they lose by a little, or they win. Still as of now, intel is the better multitasker, I'm not denying that, but people overrate intel's abilities in the deparment and don't realize how close amd is. Anyway they are both great cpu's that have their own pros and cons and people shouldn't worry so much about which is the best cuz they are both very powerful.

Further to my earlier post, I nearly through my work AMD64 through the window. I was working on a catalogue using Photoshop CS for image manipulation and corel draw to set the design. I had deadline at the printers to meet and the damned AMD ground to a slow crawl. After having to wait between 10-29 seconds everytime I changed things I finally snapped, picked the peice of junk up and preceeded towards the windows where my business partner grabbed me at the last minuite.

I'm glad he stopped me, not because I didnt want to smash the AMD, I still do, but I could have hurt someone walking past (second floor).

The bottom line is this. Before I had to work on this catalogue I though the AMD would have hacked it, not as well as an Intel HT but still good enough. Sadly I was mistaken. The difference between using the AMD & an Intel HT is like using dial-up against broadband.

yep, there will allway's be 2-sides to every coin, this subject can & will go both way's like a revoving door...Lol

But as long as people are happy with what they have, that's what matter......Lol

Has anyone heard of a Systemax laptop? If so, are they any good? I know they r cheap, I found one on TigerDirect.com for less than a grand and has Intel pentium4-M 2.2ghz, but is it a reliable computer that will last at least a year? If not, is there a good laptop for $1000 or less that will last a year or more?

look, for me multitasking with the following apps open 90% of the time:

windows media player 10.0
bearshare 4.6.0
microsoft frontpage 2003 pro
Mozilla Firefox 1.0PR
Photoshop 7.0
Fellowes CD labelmaker software
Outlook 2003
MSN messenger 6.2
2 or 3 explorer windows
and sometimes Fireworks MX 2004 too and Roxio CD creator 6

and not too mention only 256MB of system RAM non overclocking only @ 200Mhz due to my MotherBoards limitations

all open at the same time using them equally with none idle for more that 10 mins at a time with my AMD Athlon XP 3200+ at an ACCEPTABLE speed with only max 3 secs of latency between apps is very very excellent!!! I tried the same on an intel HT @ 3.2 Ghz with 512 megs/ram and it struggled and lots of the time made too much heat and shut the pc down or BIOS beep warning. that was tested on a custom machine with a "extreme" cooler!

Intel's major problem is the overheating. thier cores arent designed properly. not enough dissipation and even spread.

and also the HT technology isnt perfected and it is often buggy and results in way higher latency then without HT technology enabled.

and even wothout HT Intels still struggle with everyday apps. and games often slow to a crawl at ABS MAX setting on games no matter hoe good the graphics card is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom