AMD FX 8350 - Idle Temperatures ?

Aye, I was thinking the 212 EVO was the most ideal one, in terms of AM3+ availability and also the price (not ideally looking to spend more than £25-£30 on a cooler)...

As an update, the CPU has been running at 50 degrees this morning. I removed the side case and temperatures dropped to 40 degrees for CPU! It's slowly climbing back up now I have replaced it... I have attached some pics of the case (sorry for the orientation)..

The first shows the back of the case with just a 120mm fan available. The front of the case has 2 120mm spaces available.. of which one one is currently occupied with a fan.

Additionally it may be worth noting that my computer is situated at body height, sitting down.. right on top of my desk. Whether the fact it's sucking in slightly warmer air from being a meter up than normal makes a huge difference, I don't know!

Attachments

• 20140808_122519[1].jpg
    20140808_122519[1].jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20140808_122530[1].jpg
    20140808_122530[1].jpg
    104 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Yeah, The Coolermaster cooler is a good choise. Then you will have some overclocking headroom too if you want to do that later on?

You wont get that much lower temperatures if you put it on the floor. You likely will get more dust collection instead.

What you could do, is to snip away that mesh in front of the exhaust fan. That mesh, makes the hot air from the fan bounce back and forth, and not much of it will actually get out of the case right away. This will also make the hot air build up inside the case. Just securily tape up a bag of some kind around the the case, fan hole before you snip. You don't want to get any metal shards into the case.

You will also get a more quiet case fan by removing the mesh.

Another good thing is that when you get the new cooler. You can mount it so that the cooler fan will blow the air directly at the case exhaust fan.

Edit. Looking at your photo of the top of the case. It seems to me there are another possibility to mount a fan there. Or am I wrong?

If there is? Definite get another fan and mount it for exhaust there.

Last edited:
Yeah, The Coolermaster cooler is a good choise. Then you will have some overclocking headroom too if you want to do that later on?

You wont get that much lower temperatures if you put it on the floor. You likely will get more dust collection instead.

What you could do, is to snip away that mesh in front of the exhaust fan. That mesh, makes the hot air from the fan bounce back and forth, and not much of it will actually get out of the case right away. This will also make the hot air build up inside the case. Just securily tape up a bag of some kind around the the case, fan hole before you snip. You don't want to get any metal shards into the case.

You will also get a more quiet case fan by removing the mesh.

I'm not sure about the OP, but I could imagine some people being nervous about making a modification like that. I know myself and I'd probably avoid cutting the mesh myself out of fear that something could / would go wrong as a result of doing it.

If you're like me, start with a cooler and you'll see a pretty decent drop in temperature over stock. For your purposes, that'll probably be enough for you to feel comfortable with the unit's temperatures.

Hi!

If you tape up a bag over the hole ( inside the case of coarce) before the snipping as I said before. The risk are minimal. I have removed all the meshes ( 4 of them ) on my Antec P180B case without any accidents a long time ago.

Using a Dremel is much riskier than using some kind of plier as when you cut with the Dremel there will be a fine shower of metal dust.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion Wherewolf! It may possibly help, but I'll have to agree with what Bahawolf (lots of wolves around here!) and say I'd feel a bit nervous doing that.. additionally I know I wouldn't do it right and it'll make my beautiful new case quite messy I feel!

I've ordered a couple of new Bitfenix 120mm fans to stick on the front and keep the original on the back. Have also ordered the Evo 212 fan as well.. hopefully all of this will be sufficient in reducing temperatures!

Ok. You're welcome.

I still wonder if you have an extra fan mount on top / at the roof of your case eventually?

If so? Stick one of those Bitfenix fans as exhaust there.

I'm afraid not! I really wish I did though, that'd be perfect. I guess I'll just up the RPM of the rear fan a tad to help suck out the air from the CPU blowing upwards!

Pity that. But cranking up the rpm will at least help some. If there are a possibility to do that for the exhaust fan too? It will help even more.

That's what I plan on doing!

Update guys.. my CPU Cooler EVO 212 is arriving today! (Yay for Amazon Prime).

I would like to effectively remove the thermal paste from the CPU... but I don't have an Arctic Clean nor Isopropyl alcohol.. can anyone suggest of anything else that's good to use? Or even just sufficient? I'm kinda impatient and would like to get this cooler on today.. stock fan is just too noisy! Makes me feel like there's something to worry about with it!

Many thanks.

Back
Top Bottom