AMD FX 8350 - Idle Temperatures ?

datkins91

In Runtime
Hey all,

Before I start, I would also point out this is my computer with the side case off right next to an open window with a fairly nice evening breeze rolling through!

I've recently put together a new build and all is well. However, idle temperatures of my processor hit around 50 degrees centigrade on medium CPU fan speed. If it's on maximum speed (very noisy) then it can get it back down to 40. Before installing the CPU I had applied new thermal paste.. I removed the original paste that was on the heatsink and applied the new... Tuniq TX-2.

I made sure the CPU was covered with the paste by applying a small amount at first and putting the heatsink on and removing it to see the spread. The spread was minimal, so I applied a few more tiny dabs to ensure all was covered. The heatsink is the original one the processor came with and the system is not overclocked in any way. Is it a possibility I applied too much paste? I did apply maybe 4 (very tiny dots) more of paste nearer the corners of the heatsink.

Additionally.. my motherboard runs at around 45-50 degrees! It's an ASRock 990FX Extreme 3.

Many thanks in advance for all your help.

Daniel

Hey there!

I've looked up that CPU and you're not the only one experiencing higher temperatures with the stock heatsink. I would recommend giving it a few hours for the paste to "settle" and if it's still high, look into a new heatsink.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Computer Forums mobile app

Hey there!

I've looked up that CPU and you're not the only one experiencing higher temperatures with the stock heatsink. I would recommend giving it a few hours for the paste to "settle" and if it's still high, look into a new heatsink.

Many thanks for your time! I was telling myself that the paste needed to settle.. but I've been running it for a day or so now and it's still pretty warm. Was thinking to give it another day or two to see how it goes.. but even by an open window with a breeze and the case open.. I'd expect it to be much cooler! Even if it was the paste still adjusting!

Hey there!

It's a common mistake but by opening your case, you're disrupting the natural airflow and could be raising the temperature. Did you open the case because it was much higher?

^^ What he said. Case off is usually worse temp wise than case on. But it wouldn't make a giant impact on temps. Maybe a few degrees. The FX series tends to run hot in general. Get an aftermarket cooler just in general.

Hi!

As this cpu have a TDP of 125 W it will always run hot....Especially on the stock cooler.

A couple of questions.

1. What case do you got?

2. Have you reduced the cable clutter?

3. Case fan set up?

4. Have you got a sufficient powersupply for your setup?

5. Room temperature?

Anyway, it would be best to replace the stock cooler with a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO for example. It's cheap but good. But then you will need to take out the motherboard and replace the back plate for the cooler.

If you don't wanna do that? Try to find a Scythe Iori. Not as good as the CoolerMaster. But noticeable better than the stock still, and more silent.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

The case is a great one, and there is no cable clutter, made sure to build it with all cables out of the way. Room temperature isn't too hot, but it's not cold either.

The power supply I have is a Corsair 650W... also running a Radeon R9 270X which idle temperatures reside at 40-45 degrees which I hear is pretty good.

I guess it's just a case of getting a better cooler then, eh?

I think I'll take a quick look at some CPU coolers and show a few I think look alright? Can give some recommendations!

You're welcome.

Ok.

Some cooler suggestions:

CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO as said. You can stick another silent 120 mm fan to it for a push and pull setup if you wanna improve the cooling further?

A Noctua fan for example.

Or if you want the best? Check out the Noctua coolers.

Yes, 40 - 45 degrees idle are ok for that card.

Last edited:
Thanks Wolf, will check out that brand.

Just curious, many of the fans I'm looking at will have their compatibility stated... though many of them will say AM1 / AM2 / AM2+ / AM3 .. and then no AM3+? For which my motherboard is AM3+ socket.. I was wondering whether it made any difference, but then why would they state + for AM2?

Seems to be quite hard to find many fans compatible with AM3+, no?

Back
Top Bottom