AMD FX-55 worth it? 7800GT or GTX?

dtrg

Solid State Member
im in the process of learning as much as i can about computer components to make an informed decision on what i should buy to build my first REAL gaming computer. right now, i know i want and AMD processor with the new nVidia 7800 card. couple questions though.

most rigs i see people have in these forums and others, they dont have the latest and greatest processors. they have amd 64bit 3200+'s and others like that. now ive been reading a lot about the FX-55 and FX-57 and am impressed with what ive been reading. ive already ruled out the 57 as i am not made of money..but i would be willing to drop $850 on the 55 if it is worth the extra money. so is it? does it really out perform the other amd chips enough to make it worth the extra 300-500 bucks? im willing to spend around $2000ish on components, but would still like to get the most for my money..ive got bills to pay after all! side question: whats the diffrence between Venice and SanDiego and all those? anything major?

also, about the 7800 gfx card..is there a great difference in performance in the GT vs. the GTX models? also what is the BFG i see infront of a lot of card names? there are a few other common words i see there, but i see BFG the most, whats up with that?

any help would be great. thanks!

Ok, first off.... I would recommend getting a dual core cpu. Even though the fx-55 is a great gaming cpu, you will be a lot happier down the road with a dual core cpu. It'll perform amazing in pretty much any of the games that you play. Maybe a 4400+ or a 4800+ if you have the money. The fx-55 is a little old, but amazing, nonetheless, but old compared to the fx-57 and the fx-59 when it comes out. There isn't really a difference between the cores... san diego is good. So is venice. I think that venice is more recent, or is the other way around? It doesn't really matter. gt and gtx just is really the memory speeds and core speeds. bfg is a just one manufacturer of the 7800gtx. A good company though. I like the xfx one though, but bfg is good. People on these forums aren't rich like some people. I'm not, but I've oc'ed my cpu over hell and have gotten to the point where it was competitive with high-end cpu's. But some people on these forums have a beast of a comp... I know amd zen or dark blade had well over $4000+ of pc components... anyways... yeah, hope this helps.

the cpu's.. they dont matter AS much as the video cards.. like the fx 57 is ridiculous... i've never met anyone with that kind of money. one of my friend's have the x2 amd cores and he said it's fairly decent. with the fx series, you'll be able to focus more attention on ONE program and the cpu will juice that one and that one only program up.

computer software writers have been recently told to make games in multithread processing methods.. so dual cores will be necessary some time in the future ;).

the gfx card.. go with ur heart rofl. EVERYONE fights for what's better, and what's not.. since you've mentioned you're not the spend the million dollar type.. i'd suggest going for a 6800gt or x850xt. those are mid ranged video cards.. some may say HIGH, i say medium ;).

give me ur budget on how much you want to spend on ur computer.. and do you want to start fresh from a new motherboard? or just do an upgrade.. you can only upgrade if you have a pretty recent motherboard with the chips these days.

finally, no you dont, you dont know that you want a 7800gt ;). do some more homework :p

A nice dual core setup will do perfectly. Match that with a powerhouse 7800GTX and you'll have a pretty good gaming system. The FX line is just expensive. I feel pure gamers are the ones that are attracted to that line of CPU. Benchmark wise, they're great CPUs if you can afford the FX57. Otherwise, the Athlon X2 are pretty mainstream. Go for the Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo core. That rocks the house. BFG or eVGA line of 7800GTX are overclocked video cards giving you some added performance as well.

I'm pretty sure you'll find most people dirrecting you to the AMD X2 Series now... they're really the best thing out there.. ontop of the fact that the cheapest model is roughly the same price as the 3500+ I believe... but as for the 7800, get the GTX. Best bet is probably a BFG or eVGA.
Good luck and hope you enjoy your computer :)

Chris

get a AMD64 X2 Toledo 3800+ they tend to oc a little better than the Manchester sister chips. And go for a 7800GTX or a ATi x1800XT (when it comes out) whatever suits your budget better.

Back
Top Bottom