AMD FX 4170 vs. i5 2500k

Glendor

Solid State Member
The AMD processor is nearly a hundred dollars cheaper. The AMD also has a much higher clock rate. The cache is bigger as well. I cannot find out what the 2500k has over it. I am helping a friend put together a gaming PC that will do well with newer games and also basic internet surfing, etc.. Saving a hundred dollars is a big deal. It is making my regret my purchase of a 2500k almost lol.

The AMD processor is nearly a hundred dollars cheaper....

I've heard this thousands of times..."but the AMD CPU is cheaper"....yes it is, and the performance you get is inferior, that's why it's cheaper.

You didn't waste your money on that i5 2500k. All you need to do is look at the benchmarks published by any reputable website. Look at the most graphic intensive games like Crysis 2, or benchmarks like Heaven 3.0.

I've attached one for you but there are many more. Just Google around, and you'll see why you made the right choice. There is nothing wrong with AMD processors, they are a very good alternative choice when money is a primary issue. However, if performance is your prime concern, and you don't mind paying more, Intel is the way to go.

Attachments

• Desktop_2012_10_24_22_02_23_213.jpg
    Desktop_2012_10_24_22_02_23_213.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 5
Sick answer Ham, nice work. Yeah I have always been AMD but once I got my current job as an animator, my whole studio uses intel, and I will never go back. I have a x6 1090t at oced to 4 ghz and It still cant render faster than our i7 3930k and 3.2 with 3.8 ghz boost. Not even close.

So is it a chip set thing that you cant really read in the specs? Also it seems odd that many i5 processors beat out i7s. Are the cheaper i3s like the 2120 comparable as well then?

Actually I guess I can just find a graph too.

...Sick answer Ham,...

Ahhhh, I don't understand, what's "sick" about it???

....Actually I guess I can just find a graph too.

There ya go, do some research, forum responses are nice, but there is no better way to learn than your own research. And no, i5 processors, under the same set of test specs, will not out perform i7 processors. Again, research and you see everything you want to know.

Sick = Awesome lol..

Ahh, thanks, ok, now I know.

Sounds like an expression that a person my age just wouldn't be familiar with. If I was under 20 I'd have known what you're talking about. Unfortunately, I haven't been under 20 in about 100 years.

Back
Top Bottom