AMD Cool & Quiet shock!

Kage said:
If you have an AMD Athlon that has Cool & Quiet technology and your motherboard's bios supports it. It rapidly cools down temps when you aren't using the computer, or even if you are.

I heard bad things about it, so never tried it, and you know what my temps were like.

Well, I turned it on, and nothing. No change or anything.

I realised, I had to set Power Management to Minimal, and download this:

AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64/FX Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (x86 and x64 exe) 1.3.2 here (its about half way down the list) - http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html

I then restarted the system with Cool & Quiet set to on in BIOS.

TEMPS:

Instead of my temperatures being about 45 degrees idle on the CPU, they are now 33 degrees C idle (Room temp: 28 degrees C)

Instead of a load temp of 55 degrees C, load now is about 49 degrees C.

I believe, my motherboard works better with it (ABIT AV8), instead of having it off.

I was very surprised at the temp drop, but it seems to work very well, and doesn't go above the 30's now, unless I'm doing something really intensive,

and it doesn't slow down my PC (at least noticably, and even if it did, when I'm only doing things like Internet and MSN, its really cool and isn't needed). I thought it would, but it doesn't. It just makes sure my systems much cooler, and I don't know why.

Before, I swear my system was running at almost full all the time.
My external USB hard drive doesn't rise temps anymore either like it used to, like the CPU had to work really hard.

I'm really happy now :D
Good to hear, now you can stop being paranoid about your CPU blowing, starting a fire, and destroying your house! Sleep well for once! :D

Thanks for posting this, i'm gonna try it out on mine now. REP POINT FO YOU SON.

And since I posted, and edited my sig (something to do with the back fans I think), idle temps have gone up to 35 degrees C, and Load to 49 degrees C (stayed).

However much I force air through, making the system louder, the temps don't go down, so i don't know what thats about :p

Anyhow, I'm happier than I was :D

BhangMe said:
I have a question, why would Cool & Quiet be a bad idea for overclockers?

Because Cool & Quiet automatically changes your settings depending on your tasks, reguardless of your own settings. Overclockers don't like this because they want to see how far they can push the hardware. Some like to overclock the hardware to a set speed, not have the CPU variate between stock settings or lower.

So, say you overclocked a cpu to 3.0ghz, stock being 2.0ghz, the Cool & Quiet doesn't reconize that your max speed at 3.0ghz, but at 2.0ghz. and so being under a fulload it wouldnt go to 3.0ghz?

it would go to full speed but overclockers (like me) just like to have their cpus at max all the time so they have a fast comp 24/7

Alright, so it would be good for overclockers that want a fast pc when they are playing games or something then?

Yeah, when you start an intesive program (such as a game for example) it will demand all power from the cpu, so naturally, cook 'n quiet takes the limit off and restores the voltage, bringing it back up to full speed for the game.

Back
Top Bottom